• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Ruins Color of Footage from iPhone 12 Mini

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I filmed footage on my new iPhone 12 today. Airdropped it to my mac from my iPhone - the color looks the same as it did on my phone in QuickTime. I import the footage into Premiere Pro and all of a sudden it's super washed out. How can I stop premiere from doing this? or how can I color correct in premiere so it looks at least kind of like the footage originally did?

The screenshot on the left is the original footage and the screenshot on the right is the footage in Premiere Pro.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 7.34.27 PM.png

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try exporting it as the same format as it was originally from premiere and see how it looks on your mac.  If it looks the way it did originally, you've got what you started with.   Premiere didn't ruin anything, it just displayed it differently.    The way different devices and programs display color is a very complicated subject...  There are professional broadcast standards which are constantly evolving and apple may or may not be choosing to obey them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've same issue. But it's not helped me what you explained here. When I play my video on quick time it looks natural but when import it on premire timeline then diffent luminanc. Even when export from premire the same (different color/luminance). I've tested both video to upload to youtube and play diffrent devices. Youtube keeps my original video color/luminance but premire changed it without using any effects. 
So, I belive there is any option which applying automatically to each of my video while imporitng in to timeline. I may have to change someting in my preferences. Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computers are dumb, but it probably has to do with how Premiere is handling the Color Management.

Try this:

- Find the clip in the project tab and right click on it -> Modify -> Interpret Footage

- At the bottom under Color Management click "Color Space Override" and select Rec. 709

Hopefully that fixes it.

I've attached screengrabs that fixed that same problem on my computer.

I think new phones are shooting with a wider color space, probably Rec. 2100 HLG, which is just too many colors for Premiere's little brain to handle.  Rec 709 is the tried and true color space that has been around for a long time and is still compatible with almost everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly enough, this doesn't work for all footage shot with the iPhone, even for footge shot in the same lighting at the same time at the same place. Adobe Premiere really needs to get it together before we all ditch it for something else. The color shifts are as chronic as they are maddening. As a professional editor it is eating into my bottom line. We need real solutioins here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great for me. Interpret footage to Rec 709. 

I wonder if there is a setting on the iPhone to keep me from having to do this step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year later and still no fix?? i even tried converting the footage with no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your OS? And what is the media ... and the color space?

Are you aware of and using the massively changed color management basis and settings of the app? That wasn't exactly handled so that all users had a clue what was going on in the new release.

So ... in your case, it could be because of the Mac ColorSync utility's odd and improper handling of Rec.709 media, or it could be from the new changes in Pr's basic operation, user settings, and default behaviors.

"We" can't even guess until you give more information though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 12.0.1 but it's weird cause the only solution I found was downloading the same clips from google photos and it worked fine. So is there something happening with the airdrop? Doesn't make much sense. I tried playing with all the different color modes and it doesn't do much, but I don't have much knowledge of the new features. All I know is it works fine for everything else and somehow getting the same files from google photos seems to be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still didn't answer what the color space of the clip is, what the color space of the sequence was, so I can't say much. I have had several people send me clips of problem media, and every one of them, with proper CM setup, worked fine.

Now ... the proxy setup for HLG clips though is completely busted at this time. The engineers are aware and working on it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, 
Im having a similar problem. 
My footage gives me an other result after exporting it. Eventhough im using the same export settings as usual. 
Schermafbeelding 2022-03-28 om 11.58.27.png

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-28 om 12.00.16.png

 i dont k now what is going wrong. do you need more info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I discovered how to fix this. You have to have Premiere interpret the footage in a different color space. Rec 709 worked for me. 

I have to dig into it more, but some clips from iPhone are ok and others are not. I have a hunch the clips I shoot in photo but but hold down the button to record may be suspect. Some iPhone clips come at MOV and others MP4. Need to dig into that more to see when Apple chooses what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines