• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro scrubbing indictor freezing and other issues when a video file is imported into project

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

So recently I changed my graphics card, now I don't know for sure that it was the GPU change that started this issue, but I had never experienced it beforehand.

Basically, my project works completely fine with just an audio file. The scrubbing bar indicator thingy (I have no idea what it is called) moves around as I drag it and click on any point on the timeline. However, this changes once I import a video file. 

For the record, I do not have the bring the video file onto the timeline, just import it into the project to get this issue to show.

Once I have a video file in the project I try to scrub through the timeline and the indicator does not move at all until I hit space or start playing the timeline. This also applies to selecting segments on the timeline, I click and nothing happens until I hit play.

Has anyone else every encountered this? I have tried a reinstall multiple times including changing the install location. 

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for not providing enough information. I am just going to go down the list and give answers.

• I am using Premiere Pro 2021 Version 15.4.1
  • I have installed the latest updates, as I said I reinstalled a few times.
  • I am using Windows 10 Pro 21H1 OS build 19043.1165
  • Audio is an mp3, I don't know any more than that. Video is an mp4, I also don't know any more than that.
  • I am not getting any error messages
  • I was attempting to add the background video to my project, it would appear the project stops working when more than one piece of media is in the project.
  • I have never tested this specific media on this computer before, however what I am trying to do now has working in the past.
  • I have not updated my project. I created a new project to try and replicate the issue and got the exact same issue. I also created a new project and moved my files into it.
  • OS: listed above. CPU:i7-8700K. RAM:32GB@2133Mhz. GPU: RTX 2060 6GB driver version 471.68 (I don't know anymore about the GPU). My media is on my data HDD. I have been editing media off of this in the past however and had no problems. All other things installed on the drive work fine.
  • Drive is fast enough to play games on with pretty low load times.
  • See above.
  • I am using Mercurt Playback Engine CPU Acceleration
  • I have tried using Mercury Playback Engine (software only) and got the same error.
  • Issue appears in preview in the timeline editor.
  • Premiere doesn't crash, it just does some weird things, as described in my above question.

I can probably make up a dummy program and give some dummy error footage if required.

Also, I looked into the issue more. It would appear that it works when there is only one piece of media in the project, however the issue comes back when the second piece is imported.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wave is preferred over mp3.

What kind of video is used: check with MediaInfo and post outcome in treeview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced these same issues with other media before. Regardless, I have attached the tree view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is HEVC. Highly compressed footage.

Is this screenrecording: might want to change it to H.264 or some other codec.

The scrubbing bar indicator thingy = playhead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the information. I will try to change my screenrecording software to H.264.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried again with new media that is not in HEVC in a new project and the issue still persists.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have conducted some additional investigation, specifically I have done a driver update and opened an older project that I know worked recently. I still experienced the problem.

At this point I am almost certain that the problem is to do with me swapping my GPU. Do you know of any instances when Premiere starts acting up after changing a computer's GPU? Are there any procedures I was meant to follow but didn't with Premiere?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines