• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Serious Bug on M1 Mac with Dual Monitors

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted for months in the feature / bug request form, but I have never seen a respone or an attempt at fixing this bug as they have released a non-beta that suffers from this problem as well as the current beta:

I am using an M1 Mac mini and it took me a while to identify the root cause of this bug, but now I have narrowed it down and it happens every single time. If a second monitor is attached and you try and open a previous project you will see the timeline load and then the beach ball will stay spinning no matter how long you wait. It does not matter if the project was setup to output on the second monitor or not. It will just freeze like this. The only work around is to force close premiere and physically disconnect the second monitor. Even turning the monitor off will not fix this issue since the Mac still knows something is connected to that port. I have been hoping to see this fix for months now, but even the latest version still suffers from this bug.
Thank you for your help!

Here is my info:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini9,1
Chip: Apple M1
Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory: 16 GB
macOS Big Sur 11.4 & 11.5
Premiere Pro 15.4.0 BETA (Build 40) - 22.0.0 Beta (Build 39)

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen any other Mac user post this, but I could easily have missed it.

What troubleshooting steps have you done? Like trashing prefs, dumping cache files, try new project files, what?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspect is that not many people are running the M1 Mini with dual monitors.  

I have tried several versions of Big Sur as well as at least a dozen versions of Premiere Pro.  Including wiping the Mac Mini and starting from scratch (fresh install of Big Sur), so that should take care of the preferences and casche files.

I have started new projects, tried old projects, but it all comes back to having to phiscially dissconnect the second monitor before Premiere will load a previously saved project that was saved with 2 monitors plugged in.   I can make it happen 100 percent of the time, i.e. I have never had it work, not even once with dual monitors connected when trying to load a saved project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping we get some other M1 Mac people on here. I do know from comments engineers have run multiple monitors on M1s ... they do that on any OS/form they build for. But naturally the number of computers they can run in-house is rather small compared to "out in the wild".

I haven't seen much in the way of comments about this from M1 users, but it would be good to get some other responses ... how many have the same problems you do?

And of course, @Kevin-Monahan is a total Mac dude ... would love to get his participation here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Makers Acres:

Sorry to hear you're running into a dual display issue on your M1 Mac mini.  I'm not seeing an issue with having two displays connected with mine.  That is, Premiere Pro works as expected with my usual dual display setup with with the undocked Project tab on the left monitor and everything else on the right monitor.  It also works as expected when I choose one of the displays for playback via Preferences > Playback > Enable Mercury Transmit.

The left monitor is patched via HDMI out of the M1 Mac mini to the HDMI in of a 29.5-inch Dell UP3017 running at 2560-by-1600 and the right monitor is patched via Thunderbolt out using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to the Thunderbolt 2 in of a 34.5-inch LG Ultrawide (I forget the model number, but it's the 1st generation LG Ultrawide to include Thunderbolt from sometime around 2014/2015) running at 3440-by-1440.

I'm currently running macOS Big Sur 11.5.1, but the dual monitors setup worked fine back under 11.4 as well.

Something that might be worth mentioning is that I'd initially tried to patch the LG Ultrawide via Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter that converts UCB-C to HDMI and the display remained black and the M1 Mac mini did not show it in the Display System Preferences.  I have not tried testing the adapter with another Mac to see if it might be a bad adapter or not.

I've included some screenshots below for reference below.

Have you had a chance to call AppleCare about the issue?  Maybe even bring the M1 into an Apple store for testing?

Have you tried different cables/adapters?

Have you tried a clean install of macOS and Premiere Pro, testing Premiere Pro prior to installing any other software?

Also, just to clarify, you're having this issue with both the current release of Premiere Pro 15.4.0 (Build 47) and the Beta?

Screenshots:

Premiere Pro Project tab undocked on left monitor.Premiere Pro Project tab undocked on left monitor.Premiere Pro application window on the right monitorPremiere Pro application window on the right monitormacOS 11.5.1 About This Mac > DisplaysmacOS 11.5.1 About This Mac > DisplaysAbout Premiere ProAbout Premiere PromacOS 11.5.1 About This Mac > OverviewmacOS 11.5.1 About This Mac > Overview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info.  This only appears to happen with Premiere Pro, but the Beta and the Current stable release.  I have tried a full blown clean install of both the OS and Premiere with no difference.  This is fixed by unplugging my second monitor (the one slected for playback), then restarting premiere pro, then plugging the monitor back in after the project is open and my second montor works fine as the playback monitor.  I have a similar setup to you, and I do have a powered HDMI to DVI convertor so I can have my second screen.  If it is the convertor causing the problem, I would think this bug would still be related to Adobe hanging on something.  I am also running this through a KVM, but once again, I think Adobe should be able to handle this.

As far as your adapter, my understanding is that the Mac M1 Mini only supports HDMI and one USB-C monitor.  You can't connect two monitors to USB-C ports with or without adapters period. 

Here is a video of the failure in action:

https://youtu.be/UCYTJAvqEyU

See attached screen shots...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is: every time before i leave premiere I disable mercury transmit.

After opening priject i enable it.

It's a bit anoying but it works everytime.

I figure it, it has something to do with initialising transmit during project loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experience this issue of freeze when opening your project files you're working at.

I tried it on my office Mac Pro (the cheese grater) & my home office mac mini m1 as well. Both show same freeze result. Really weird.

Not sure what's the cause, might be 3rd party plugins, pluraleyes, plugins from videohive, etc..

Yes. i'm also using dual monitors, didnt tried your method to unplug my 2nd monitor thou.

But I have my own workaround. I hope this might help you.

When I open my previous project file, Premiere pro will try to load your timeline and it freeze afterwards with beach ball.

Here's what I do,

I open Premiere Pro, create new empty project. This will make my Premiere Pro to load all the necessary stuffs, (effects, plugins, timeline, tabs, etc)

I save that empty project file. And open my working project file. Everything is normal.

So everytime when I want to open my Premiere Pro, I will always open an empty project file before opening my working project file. Just to make the Premiere Pro to load all the stuffs. I hope this helps.

PS: I accidentally happen to find this thread because there's one annoying bug my mac mini m1 with dual monitors I'm experiencing right now...

Everytime I open my project file, the mercury transmit preview wont appear on my 2nd monitor. It will always appear in my 1st monitor along with the main timeline on 1st monitor. So I have change resolution display either one of the monitor and change back to my preference display resolution just to "trigger" the Premiere Pro to correctly display the preview on the 2nd monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for listing your workaround, Syahir Ismail. It is appreciated.

Regarding your performance issue with multiple monitors and the M1, check with Apple to see the computer's capabilities with additional monitor connectivity. I know that the cheaper minis do not support many extra monitors while the newer Macs do. Sorry to tell you that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

I have the exact same issue running a 16" 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro with 64 Gig of ram.  Very disappointed.  With the money my wife spent on this laptop and a top-level application like Adobe Premiere, I should not have to perform a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines