• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Premiere Pro stuttering on a newly-built Windows PC; have tried numerous suggested solutions

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m going to try this one more time with all the information gathered in one post! I apologize for the repetition and the length of this post.

I am experiencing a very frustrating issue with Adobe Premiere Pro after installing it on a newly-built Windows-based PC. Whether I preview a video clip in the source window or view it in the timeline, the video stutters significantly. The frame loss indicator also turns yellow. So, obviously, there’s a problem – a problem that you’ve probably seen many times before. However, I can understand the stuttering in the timeline. But the same thing happens in the source window before I move the clip into the timeline.  Would the sequence settings affect a clip before it’s moved into the timeline? This occurs even if I import one clip.

This issue affects video files from a variety of cameras with various settings – 24 fps, 30 fps, and 60 fps; captured on two different Sony mirrorless cameras, a DJI Pocket 2, GoPro, drone, iPhone, and even the video clips included with Premiere. They all seem to have an h.264 codec. The settings I used on these cameras are the same that I’ve used for several years and have worked flawlessly in Premiere Pro on other computers, both PC and Mac.

So before we go any further, here are all the specs:
My computer has an Intel i7 12700 CPU, Nvidia 2060ti GPU, and 32 GB of RAM.
I have the newest Nvidia Studio driver installed – 517.40.
Premiere Pro is installed on a WD Black 2TB NVMe SSD.

I’m using Windows 10 Home Version 21H2, OS build 19044.2006
My Premiere Pro build is Version 22.6.2 (Build 2)
When I drag a clip onto the timeline, the sequence settings are usually:
Custom; 23.976 fps; 1920x1080; sample rate 48000; preview file format I-Frame Only MPEG.

I used both the media browser and the drag-and-drop method to import the files.
I’ve tried the various editing resolutions. I tried Proxy files.
I reinstalled Premiere Pro three times, once with an earlier version.
I did the same with the Nvidia driver, including a clean install.
I have imported files from various drives. I even installed Premiere Pro on a different drive just in case there was an issue with the C: drive.

The clips play perfectly in Photoshop and Lightroom. Both of those programs work like a dream on the new computer. I even installed DiVinci Resolve and imported the clips into it to maybe rule out a faulty GPU. The files all ran flawlessly.

So I don’t think anything is wrong with the GPU. Heck, it even handles Flight Simulator, etc., with ease. But there could always be some obscure settings that might affect Premiere Pro.

I have checked all of the common solutions published online. I’m sure there are a few I missed. I have changed nearly every setting in the sequence settings and projects settings.

Some have suggested it’s a hard drive or computer issue. I think I have been able to rule out those possibilities. The video files are not corrupt. Others have suggested it’s the H.264 codec. But that’s what I’ve been using for years without any problem.

I’m certainly hoping there is a solution for this.

I appreciate the responses I have received so far. And please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a good article with various things to check. Maybe you've come across it (or something similar) but posting in case it offers some ideas. Some of the things in the aricle have clearly been checked already.

https://blog.frame.io/2019/11/18/diagnosing-premiere-pro-problems-choppy-playback/ 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Fellerz77 - any progress with your issue?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines