Why is this new version so buggy? I've experienced about 50 crashes since updating. It's been over a decade since I've experienced this much crashing in PP!
Close a project - Crash
Quit the app - Crash
Embed AE comp - Crash (seen the fix to this)
Finish exporting - Crash
Start new caption - Crash
Scrub the timeline - Crash
Relinking media - Crash
Copy/Paste between 2 projects - Crash
Reposition text in program window - Crash
No, none of these have specific, repeatable steps...which is why it's so madening. PP v22 just not stable, full stop. At least for me, but it seems many others are having similar experiences.
Also, been experiencing issues with mutliple clips that have the same file name being swapped on the timeline or overwritten in the project bin. Esp with network vs local clips. Very strange. Never seen that before.
I hope they get this app up to speed quickly, there is a lot of great stuff in v22, but I gotta roll back to 15.4.2 to stay productive 😕
iMac 2019 - Big Sur 11.6.1 - 32GB - Radeon Pro 580X 8GB
Working on mostly short clips, HD MP4s, under 2min. Not large or complex projects at all.
This has been a nutso release for users. Totally mixed bag. The vast majority are working away without issues, some have annoying things they can work around, and some like you are pretty much crushed. What the ... hay?
I spent a lot of time with the new Pr/Ae workflows with multi-frame rendering tests and such in the public beta, not a problem at all here or for most users testing that. So they release it, and multi-frame rendering of an Ae comp is BAAAD for some users when they get back into Pr. But not for many, like me ... what's the difference? Why?
My best advice is what I always give to anyone no matter the 'brand' of the app for most any computer software. And it especially applies to both the Pr/Ae 2022 release and BlackMagic's 17.4 major update. (Though easier on the Adobe apps really.)
Never ever load and update your projects to a new major version and commit to working client projects without thoroughly testing them!
In the Adobe apps that's pretty easy. Simply monitor the CC Desktop app to be sure that 'auto-update' stays turned off, and when you do install a new major version, always make sure "remove prior versions" is unchecked first.
This way you can keep working in say 15.4.1 while installing and in new projects created in it, TEST your media/workflow/gear/effects in the new version. WHEN the new version proves stable, you can migrate projects.
Which should be done ALWAYS by creating a new project in the new version, then from the MediaBrowser panel, navigate to the old version project file. Select it and import the assets of that project into the new version.
This does two things that are very good:
Gives you the cleanest, most likely to work well migration of the old project to the new version. Vastly better than simply 'opening' an old version project in a new vesion.
Leaves the original version project file untouched, so if anything doesn't work well in the new version, you can keep working in the old version project without interruption.
I've had a period of three months or better where I needed to stay on a previous version due to issues with my gear or media. But there wasn't a problem because I followed the above advice. And when they finally got the new vesion patch that worked for my stuff, I migrated everything forward easily and without pain.
In Resolve, I'm still on 17.3, and waiting awhile. Resolve uses a heavy database background to all projects, and does not allow mulitiple versions to be installed on one computer at once. So migrating forward or back is a bit more of a process. Most of my colorist buds are based in Resolve, and they've had the mixed bag ... some doing fine with 17.4, some had to revert to 17.3.
But all of them tried it on a secondary machine before committing their main client computer to it. So they didn't interrupt work even if it didn't work for them. Very wise practice. And I'm waiting until another patch or two is released, and more users are reporting 17.4 under control. I don't need to upgrade, and don't want to install on the second machine (though I've bought enough Resolve kit I've got plenty of licenses!) ...