• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Won't Import Canon MOV Footage (Audio Only)

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest version of Premiere Pro and trying to work with some footage shot on a Canon C70. When I import these .mov files, which are 4k video, they only show up as audio files. I assume this is some kind of codec issue. Is there a plugin necessary to make the files work?

I'm on a 2019 iMac running OS 11.5.2

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you double check your files and report back. I believe the C70 uses MXF and MP4 wrappers for its files. If you don't already have the mediainfo app (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) You should download it. Drag one of your files in to it and it will give you a bunch of info that might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the MediaInfo app gave meScreen Shot 2021-10-07 at 3.26.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm I'm curious as to what gerikp thinks, but I've never seen an "xfga" stream. Makes me wonder if the C70 didn't close the file properly, or something like that which resulted in video stream corruption.

Either that, or perhaps your OS is missing some files critical to the playback of that codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird because it plays fine in Quicktime, so the file isn't corrupted or anything. It just won't open in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this thread since I still haven't managed to find an issue. I can't even load the footage into Media Encoder or Handbrake to convert it into a different file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to bump this thread to see if anyone else ever found a solution.  We have narrowed this down to a very specific set of actions to recreate the issue --

If you import your footage into Final Cut Pro X - so the media is actually copied into the Library - it appears to change the file from an MXF containter to a MOV container.  It will then playback without issue in Final Cut or Quicktime.  But if you locate that exact same file in the Finder, and then try to import that same MOV file into Premiere you get this issue.  

The only 2 workarounds we've found so far are to 1) don't use Final Cut, but sometimes you're in a mixed environment and it could be unavoidable or 2) transcode the footage into another format before you bring it into Premiere.  I'm attaching a screenshot of the exact error we get when attempting to import.  And like the OP mentioned, we can playback the audio but the video track appears to be missing in action. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 12.55.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After having this exact issue for a long time I found a solution. 

If you import footage directly to FCP and then you want to move the file to Premiere, it wont be able to read it. What you need to do is to optimize all the C70 footage inside FCP and then move the optimized files from the optimized folder to Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines