Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere project crashing slow load

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Running premiere 23.1 on a Dell Precision 7560 with i7-11800H, 64 GB RAM, NVidia RTX A4000 gpu

Recently, a longer project I'm working on, which was working well, has begun taking forever to load, maxing out CPU and media drive usage on loading, often crashing. Sometimes the project will load after a long wait.

I've deleted media cache, previews, preferences, reinstalled premiere, removed restrictions on program folder permissions.

Out of ideas here. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

>Any suggestions?

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>NVidia RTX A4000

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
nVidia Driver Downloads https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
-for all Adobe programs use the STUDIO driver, not the GAMING driver
-To achieve the highest level of reliability, Studio Drivers undergo extensive
-testing against multi-app creator workflows and multiple revisions of the top
-creative applications from Adobe to Autodesk and beyond
If you have a laptop you MAY also need to check for a laptop specific nVidia driver
-SOME laptops require an approved driver from the laptop company, not nVidia

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver
due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version
As noted in https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/bad-performance-with-high-end-gpu/td-p/13456...
First, the last Nvidia driver that is known stable and usable at this time is the 517.40 Studio
driver. The later ones have been a mess for many users even in Resolve. So ... go to their site,
the 'older drivers' list, and do a clean install. That may help some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies!

I have tried both updating the Nvidia driver via Nvidia site and rolling back to the 517.40 Studio mentioned above. Neither of these immediately worked, but I left my project alone for a few hours and it seems to be working now.

I do not think the issue is resolved, but I need to catch up on this edit, so will just leave it running now that it's working.

To answer the question about drives, my media is on a 4 disc owc HDD raid 5, using around 9tb of 16tb capacity. It seems to use around 20-30% of the HDD speed on opening, but runs at that rate for much longer (hours) than it did two days ago. the CPU is at 100% for much of the time while project is loading media.

Again, this is a project that worked well two days ago. I didn't update or change anything or add any new media.

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>didn't update or change anything

My Windows 11 had a restart yesterday due to updates... has your Windows updated recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think my Windows (10 enterprise) has updated, but unfortunately, my IT department doesn't allow me control over that. I have wondered if that's part of the problem, but don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to ask to find out if your Windows has updated... since that MAY be the cause of your problem

If no update since you were not having problems, I have no other ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines