• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere project files vanished from local hard drive after switching Adobe accounts

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After switching from a work Adobe Creative Suite account to a personal account, all of my Premiere project are now gone. I assumed that since these lived on my local hard drive they would be stay there. There premiere project files were stored in the default Documents > Adobe > Premiere filing system, which seems to be a terrible mistake now. I tried to sign back into my old work Adobe account to access all of my old Premiere project files, but they are not showing up. Any ideas for recovery? Ack!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have backups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish. That's why I'm writing. Even the auto-save folder files are all gone. The only backup project files I have are from July, which means a ton of lost work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a Windows search, just in case some project files might have been saved elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did several searches, to no avail. Then my old IT person reminded me that I have Time Machine set up on an external drive. Whew! I was able to restore an older version of the Adobe folder. Those prproj files in Time Machine didn't surface during my searches... And it seems that this scenerio may have been caused by an iCloud setting. My iMac no longer has a local documents folder. The documents folder it only exists in iCloud. Not sure when or how that change happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw, here's my workflow for the project files.  I have a folder on my startup drive that's automatically mirrored on dropbox.  I have a folder in the dropbox folder for all my premiere project files...  So all my project files are automatically backed up to dropbox.  I have a dropbox plus account that keeps deleted files available for 30 days I think...  My autosave folder is on my media drive so my project files are stored automatically in 3 places, dropbox, my local dropbox folder and on my media drive in the autosave folder...  I've worked this way for the last 4 or 5 years without issue...    Gotta say, I do not like icloud and resent that fact that apple makes the mirroring of the desktop and documents folder to icloud by default.  Can't tell you how many clients I have who suddenly are stuck with the notices that they're running out of icloud space and that they should definitely spend some more money with apple to get more space.    Glad you were able to find your projects, but really recommend my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good, thanks. I'm not much of a Dropbox person these days, use Google Play for most of my Cloud storage. But same difference. Moving forward I'll backup my Premiere projects there rather than iCloud. The iCloud storage setup got wonky real fast.

Thank you for your time and sharing your expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know you can setup google drive to mirror a local folder on the cloud, just like dropbox.  Both of the interfaces seem unnecessarily complicated to me and went thru hell a few months ago trying to post a large file on google drive, ran out of room, tried to delete some existing files and also purchase more space.  Banged my head against the wall for a couple of hours and gave up...  But not sure dropbox is any simpler, but I've had to spend the time to learn it...Just suggest you test your workflow and see how often the projects get updated on the cloud and make sure that google drive has some way of accessing files that have changed for at least a month...  Did save my life on dropbox...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines