• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Premiere Project taking up 2 TB - dublicate render files?

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 25 Minute Video Project is taking up nearly 2 TB of Space, on my internal and external Drives.

(To be fair the 25 min contains 3 videos in one, kind of ultra widescreen, if that makes any difference).

1) Is that "normal"? (ok might be to broad of a question)

More importantly:

2) What best to delete to free up space? 

Edit 1: My Media Cache settings should limit those files to 100 GB (see screenshot). But I'm a bit confused, since My project is using up space on my internal And external Hard drive. -> I switched from saving the project files on the external to internal, hoping this would spead things up (didnt really)

Edit 2: 

Since premiere started crashing more I got paranoid and saved newer versions of my project under new names manually. Is this creating x times the cache for x new projects I saved?

If so, will deleting the .prproj automatically delete all doublicate cache? 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-18 um 21.17.34.png

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dump your cache files. I have ALL cache files on an internal Nvme drive, and dump every so often.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted all cache files "not needed" - which didnt do much. 

I could delete everything - but I'm just finishing a video that I need to export and fear that will take much longer if I delete the cache?

(My feeling is the delete "not needed" didnt really apply for the external HDD)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh maybe one more info: Since premiere started crashing more I got paranoid and saved newer versions of my project under new names manually. Is this creating x times the cache for x new projects I saved?

If so, will deleting the .prproj automatically delete all doublicate cache? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at the folder for which files are actually taking a lot of space? Project files aren't typically that big, but  ... a bunch of them can add up.

I'd be curious as to what the files are in those folders.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell its mainly the Video Previews 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if they're not in use, you can delete 'em. But if they're for current projects, you might not want to.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way of knowing which ones are used?

Did creating seperate versions of the project create duplicate content? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • Go to the Project Settings panel.
  • Set each of the cache, audio pek and preview options to different named folders for each.
  • dump all current cache files including previews.

Now when you restart Premiere, and open a project, it will need some time perhaps to generate proper cache files. And if you need previews, they'll need to be remade.

But ... you'll know what cache/preview folders are holding a ton of data, and can manage things more easily.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines