• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere resets workspace whenever I create a new project

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, with the most recent update whenever I create a new project Premiere informs me that it is "resetting my workspace from the older layout", and proceeds to completely reset my editing workspace which means I have to completely reorganize all the windows every time I create a new project.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Try going to the Users/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 12.x/ folder tree, and look for the layouts folder. Delete that folder, then reboot, relaunch, and re-create your custom workspaces. See if that works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your system specs ?

I intentionally tried switching between different layouts on my macbook pro to check what happened, on an empty timeline,

just switched between different layouts from editing to color to effects etc....

after a while Premiere crashed and I sent the crash report

It looks like a bug that needs to be fixed, I haven't updated to the latest 2018, still on the previous oneScreen Shot 2018-04-23 at 9.43.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you have customised your workspace, save it as a preset (Window > Workspaces > Save as New Workspace)

Alternatively, save out a template file and use that as the basis for a new project - this is my preferred approach, because I can retain settings beyond just workspaces (bin setups for example) whenever I want to start a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to save a workspace, that's not the problem. Premiere is resetting my saved workspaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to the Users/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 12.x/ folder tree, and look for the layouts folder. Delete that folder, then reboot, relaunch, and re-create your custom workspaces. See if that works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even see the layout folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What's your OS? Windows/PC?

Do you see the Adobe section of User tree folders?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have the same issue as described above. Would be nice to get some help from Adobe directly because from my perspective it looks like a bug.

Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to manually remove the Layouts folder, along with using the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool to both uninstall & clean up the extraneous folders the Adobe apps leave around ... reboot, reinstall ... a couple three times before it loaded and worked properly.

Neil

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

thanks for the information - I will try to do this but not quite sure whether I understood everything properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Layouts folder is on Windows, User/<username>/Documents ... well, look at the example here ...

Close Premiere Pro. Delete that folder. You can try just rebooting and restarting ... it might work properly.

You will probably need to run the Cleaner Tool which is scary to look at, at first, it's an old-style DOS-command window format. But simple. And the instructions say to remove the offending app via the CC app first ... don't. Sometimes then the cleaner doesn't see the related files left behind. Just go direct to the cleaner as below.

Navigate to the 2018 and some other versions ... then to PrPro, then to the 2018 version. It will a couple times look like it's ready to uninstall something, but it always gives the "Do you wish to really do this y/n?" warning first. THAT's when you are at the final uninstall choice.

Uninstall and remove Premiere Pro 2018. Reboot the computer.

From the CC Desktop app, download/install a fresh copy. Reboot the computer, and launch it.

It took me about three times going through and manually removing the cache & preferences files & such before I started up PrPro, and my custom workspaces stuck again.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too, in 2022, with latest version of PP. Workspaces reset every time I create a new project or load an existing one. I sometimes have to rebuild my custom workspace, and it doesn't let me save it because it belives nothing's been changed since last save. Also, upon opening Premiere recently once, ALL the workspace tabs were suddenly active and clogging the workspace ribbon again, and I had to disable the undesired workspaces again.

This is clearly a bug, and has only just started happening. I appreciate the work-around the Neil has provided below, but with all due respect I think its something the developers should be fixing, not ourselves. I wouldn't consider this problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every once in a while, Premiere can be wonky with user-saved custom spaces. It is MADDENING.

I've complained to the engineers at NAB, who act sympathetic, then want to move on to the next question ... right ... still very, very frustrating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created and saved a new custom workspace, and deleted the old one. So far, it seems to be keeping the settings. Maybe the glitch was in my workspace file itself. So I guess problem solved, for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a couple occasions over the last 7 years or so, I've had to rebuild a few workspaces too. Never knew why, it was irritating ... but then things were working, as they seem to for you.

Yea, been there done that, what the ... hay?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines