Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere's Edit in Photoshop not working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.  

I have been working with Premiere pro for a long time now and one of the things I use a lot is the "edit in Adobe photoshop" feature to make quick changes to my images in PHOTOSHOP.

About a month ago this feature in premiere stopped working.  It will open photoshop but not the actual image.  It just lands on the home screen and sits there.  I am having this problem with all kinds of files... .jpg, .png, .TIFF, .PSD... etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this.

I have restarted my computer... uninstalled and reinstalled both programs... called adobe... Now I need the help of anyone who might know of a solution.

I am on a MacPro 2019 tower with 80 GB of RAM.

Running Premiere Pro 2021 - I upgraded and it did not help

Running Photoshop 2021 - I upgraded but it didn't help

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

MARK

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Rename your file. I had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issues.  My work around has been to "locate the file in the finder" then open it from there into PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry..."reveal the file in finder"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, also on a Mac.  @Mark16E5 got a workaround, but it has to be a solution for it...  The "edit in Adobe Audition" function works well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying, but it didn't work. 

Adobe tech support is telling me that it's a known issue that there is no solution for.  This of course makes me wonder why none of my editor friends are having any issues with this.

Anyway, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Once again, Thanks.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Please help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently when you call, you talk to freigners who don't know what they're talking about. its a idiot show. they take my money monthly without a hiccup, but i cant get freaking customer support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working normally for me on v22, Win: 21H1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Mark and others. "Edit in Adobe Photoshop" does not open photo file in Photoshop. I really miss it, used to work well. Also, I'd love to see a "Edit in Adobe Lightroom" option in Premiere Pro.

MacBook Pro 2019, Monterey 12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

Works fine on my 2018 MacBook Pro - Big Sur. v.22.1.2

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

How nice for you!

But it doesn't work with the latest version of Premiere/Photoshop on an M1Pro running Monterrey.

Is there a fix or not?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

Sorry about that. I have it installed now on my M1 and Monterey. It is working as expected. I am not sure what you've got going on differently than I do. Have you tried repairing disk permissions or resetting preferences? That might help. If you are still having trouble, contact our support staff here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for an answer to this issue.

It doesn't help when people say they are not having the problem.  It just makes me angry, that is not a helpful answer, especially since I have talked to Adobe tech support and they say it is a known issue that a lot of people are having.  The premiere pro techs blame it on photoshop and the photoshop techs blame it on Premiere pro. Of course they also say they will call me back and then close out my complaint without doing so... (This has happened many many many times) so who knows whats up.

If anyone has found an answer to the issue please let us know.

MARK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is helpful, Mark. If everyone is having the problem, or even 'a lot of people' then knowing for some it works just fine, helps to put the focus on your own machine. I've had certain behaviors on my computers over time, and some I google and never find a decent answer, and finally I have to conclude it's on my machine. Software, hardware set, BIOS, etc... it's been hard for me to accept, but then I either work with it or look on my own machine for the answer. I once had such an issue, I went and got a new harddrive (so I didn't mess with the current one), put windows on and then one program at a time until I found it. And even with that, I almost missed it, but it was a printer driver.

Currently I'm missing all printer ports on my main machine. I've googled it many time and I can't get a good answer. I've spent 2.5 whole days on it, and made some progress, now they are all gone again. I have a hardware upgrade ready to go, so I'm just leaving that as it is, since I'll have a new Windows install.

Look around... something there is amiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Yeah, this is a tough one. Since you said that it is a known issue, I searched the bug database. I do see that a 15.4 bug around this feature has been fixed in an upcoming version, and perhaps it's in the new Beta, but I'm not sure. Can you check it out in Beta with a brand new project? Let me know. If it is fixed in Beta, the fix is on the way in an upcoming version, so that's a good sign.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue. It used to work, now I have to navigate to the Finder. Premiere 15.4.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh - it's a bummer! I haven't seen a viable fix/solution anywhere (and I've looked a lot).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my new work around was to set all image types that I would use in Premiere to default open with photoshop.  I would then go to the "Edit Original" and it would open in PS.  Really saved me a ton of time in the last animatic I cut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MAN, I was hoping this would work for me. I'm glad it worked for you! In my case, I set all .png and .jpg files default to open in photoshop, restarted computer (just in case) - and it's not working. And, some - not all - .png files give me this error message when I try to open them. I'm on an enterprise system, so I'm guessing it has something to do with permissions that are controlled by my IT department?

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.14.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried all of the above. No joy.

OS 11.6.5

Premiere 22.2.0

How hard can it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't help sorry. But I'm having exactly the same issues since upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur & updating Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

Are you accessing these files with Enterprise or Educational licensing? When you updated your OS, did you do an erase and install? That is one thing I did that many people avoid. Perhaps that's the ticket?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the registry keys (Windows ) will have to be edited...anyone know the entries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines