• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Suddenly Freezing When Opening Projects On External Drives

New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit with two computers, a laptop and a desktop. I edit off of external drives on both just fine for the most part, until the other day.

When opening projects on external drives on my desktop Premiere becomes unworkably slow and intermittently stops responding. Media on the timeline gives me the Media Pending screen, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes indefinitely. The same media in the Project window shows the Media Offline question mark, again sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes indefinitely.

Exports(when I get that far) exhibit random bugs like static noise instead of music at certain points in the video.

Just looking for any additional troubleshooting tips as I can't find anyone who has had this exact problem.

This issue doesn't happen at all on my laptop. Projects saved on my desktop's internal drives seem fine.

Desktop specs:

19-9900K

RTX2070

32GB RAM

1TB Samsung SSD

2 x 2TB WD HDD

About 4 years old.

What I've tried:

Clearing the Media Cache

Updating Graphics Drivers

Updating Premiere

Reseating RAM

Air dusting internal components

Changing Mercury Playback to Software only, then back to GPU Acceleration

Interacting with clips on the timeline to see if it kick starts Premiere into recognising the media

Relinking all the media in my footage bin, saving, and restarting(It just reverts back to the way it was, also relinking is incredibly slow) 

Closing all timelines and bins, saving, and restarting(No effect)

The desktop seems to have no other issues with speed. Games and other software all run fine.

If anyone has any tips or other things I could try I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the external hard drives connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB, Type A(Computer) to Type C(Drive).

I've tried a few different USB ports of different generations on my desktop, as well as a few different cables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If USB 2.0, that may cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My desktop has both 2.0 and 3.0 ports, I've tried both with the same result. I've also tried a fresh install of Premiere now, to no avail. I'll try pick up a newer USB cable just on the off chance that it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the drives self powered or do they rely on USB power?

If USB powered, it could be that one computer is not able to supply enough reliable power to the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I'll see about diagnosing any potential PSU issues with the desktop. The drives rely on USB power from the computer. They seem to work fine even when the laptop is running off of battery power though. I would have thought the desktop would provide more than enough

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines