• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere timeline and app LAG

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, recently I am experiencing lag problems in using Premiere Pro, especially since I formatted my pc and installed windows 11, even though I have a very high performance pc the timeline of my work lags a lot, even though the files I use are not particularly heavy (1080p) and the effects nothing exaggerated (mainly fake handled movement camera) I have already allocated more ram from settings, lowered the rendering quality to 1/4 and removed high quality playback.
Since this problem in the old installation with Windows 10 and adobe premiere pro 19 was not there I was wondering if maybe there is some setting I don't know about and need to enable or some specific driver that maybe I forgot to download.

My pc configuration:
RYZEN 9 5900X
32GB RAM
RTX 3070
With a configuration like that I should definitely not have lag like that!

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly recommend creating proxies for all of your clips to feel the ultimate preview perfomance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I've read about creating proxies, but don't you think it's strange that on this configuration it lags so much and moreover this lag problem was not there before formatting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have 12 cores but only 32GB of RAM ... and that 3070 has only 8GB of vRAM ... so it's an ok machine but nothing 'screaming'. I'm running a 24 core 3960x with 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti with 11GB of vRAM. Your 3070 has more cores but less vRAM.

So you have a decent machine, and depending on the media and effects applied you could easily get lag with that rig. I can get it with a far beefier machine.

Especially if the media is any long-GOP stuff, the nastiest editing codec made of course. Or you use any Warp or video noise reduction, time/speed shifting or changes, or much color work.

I deal with a lot of colorists daily. People with hardware that blows mine outta the water as a toy. Who frequently make proxies if they have to deal with any long-GOP H.264/5 media. But can play multiple streams of 8k Red all day without troubles.

So it depends on your media, effects, and hardware. If it lags, proxy or transcode. Render & Replace is another good option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course, my pc is not a beast, but the strange thing is that before formatting I didn't have all these lag problems, that's why I think there is something wrong.
And I really don't use color corraction or a  lot of effects, my file are preatty "easy"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another strange thing I noticed (again after formatting and with Adobe Premiere 2022) is that after I put the file in the timeline the video I have on premiere is clearer, brighter and with more faded colors than the original file, also this has never happened to me before, is there any setting to change to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also changed OS and that may be part of the issue.

As to the image, is it perchance HLG or PQ for color space?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, so you think it could also be a problem of low compatibility with Windows 11?

For the image, sorry but I am quite a newbie, I don't know the difference between HLG or PQ, where can I check it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The range of things that can cause performance issues with complex and complicated apps like an NLE is rather long. And changing the OS on the computer is one of them.

Sometimes that particular machine works better with the new OS ... and sometimes, worse. We've seen this with Mac's OS updates, where some machines just don't work as well with a new Mac OS. And occasionally, with Windows.

But on other machines, the newer OS is a wondrous step forward. It ... varies.

HLG and PQ are two forms of 'HDR' ... high dynamic range video/image capture. They use different color spaces than the 'standard' Rec.709 video.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find whether the format of the video is HLG or PQ? However I usually use videos downloaded via 4k video downloader or Twitch leecher, they are vod twitch.
But I repeat that the exact same video before this new installation had the right colors and instead now has faded colors (as attached )so I was wondering if maybe there is some new setting that I need to change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With either MediaInfo (a free download utility app) or by going to the clip in the Project panel, right-click/Properties, and looking for the color space information.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is one of the files I am using and where I am experiencing problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, I couldn't even find what 'color space' an NLC tag of 1-13-1 is ... that's bizarre.

Second, it's VFR ... variable frame rate, which is problematic in an NLE. VFR means the actual number of frames per second constantly varies though the sound is constant. And an NLE is based on constant video frames per second.

Premiere can sorta work with VFR clips, but it's much wiser to transcode/convert to constant CFR media, then use that in your project. ShutterEncoder is an easy app to do this with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines