Exit

Premiere timeline skips backwards a few frames during playback

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example:

https://imgur.com/a/iqnEXzm

I haven't opened this project in 5 months or so (when it was working fine). When I opened it today, in Premiere 12.1.2 (Build 69), it upgraded the project, and seemed fine, except playback skips back. For example, after 10 frames of playback, it skips backwards 5 frames, etc etc, giving the video playback a stutter. You can see the skip back not only in the video, but hear it in the audio, and see the play head skip backwards.

This also occurs when previewing a clip not on the timeline.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Fixed it by following this breadcrumb and disabling my audio input device.

Since the last this worked, I obtained a Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card that when set as the default input audio device, causes this behavior, and at least once caused the video to skip forward instead of backwards.

This seems like a bug you (Adobe) have had since 2016 at least. I can repro this 100%, and fix it with this change. What logs can I give you so we can fix this old bug in your extremely expensive softwar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed it by following this breadcrumb and disabling my audio input device.

Since the last this worked, I obtained a Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card that when set as the default input audio device, causes this behavior, and at least once caused the video to skip forward instead of backwards.

This seems like a bug you (Adobe) have had since 2016 at least. I can repro this 100%, and fix it with this change. What logs can I give you so we can fix this old bug in your extremely expensive software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seemingly fixed this by disabling the audio input in premiere preferences.

If this is a bug, Adobe you gotta fix this asap. I turned down a client meeting yesterday because I didn't want to show them my work skipping all the time. It's not a good look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy balls, it is 2021 and you Benjamin, from the past, just came to save me. Thanks a mill. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to say I thought I had the same problem, which was similar, but turns out mine was affected by subtitle/text tool that is relatively new, make sure to deselect any text / delete any text in search function and leave the text window/tab , that stops jumping back to that place on timeline...... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 2021. This post just saved me after trying proxies and every other preview performance increase known to the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here from November 2022. I just had this issue occur when using a Meta Quest Pro to work in a VR environment. For some reason, either the Immersed VR app or Virtual Desktop caused the audio input to switch to my Black Magic Quad HDMI capture card. Yeah, no idea why that's the device that was chosen, but disabling the audio input fixed this issue for me, more than four years later.

Big thanks to the OP for figuring this out. I spent about 3 hours trying different things before I found this fix. I was minutes away from wasting hours on a full factory reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

STILL an issue in 2024, cheers Adobe. This solution saved clumps of my hair being torn out though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened on my killer new editing machine build. First time I opened Pr. I put a 5 second white color matte and it started to jump. Thought I was going to have to return all of the build components.

Thanks for finding the issue.

Hard to believe it's still an issue 4+ years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having this issue and stumbled upon this thread.  This fix worked for me as well.  So stupid,  I am not even using audio in on my project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and I resolved it by just disabling my Audio input, that way I was still able to hear my audio through my speakers. 

I agree, this should definitely not be an issue with this expensive software 5+ years later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you with this post. saved my ass

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and same fix! Thank you so much! Even Adobe tech support couldn't figure this out after 2 hours of phone support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone comes across this thread, I'd just like to point out that to hear audio in your project, and export audio in your project, the important setting is default audio output.

Audio input is for microphones and other hardware/software that can record/send audio to your system to be recorded. If you're not recording, you don't need to set this.

I know it's obvious, but it's worth a reminder. Setting the default audio input in Pr to No Input fixes a lot of playback issues and doesn't adversely affect most projects at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping to solve another ancient bug Adobe can't be bothered to fix.  It's almost 2023 and still this is a bug, unreal.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy 2023 everyone, this issue is still occuring in Premiere Pro 2023, and still can be fixed by disabling audio input in audio hardware preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its 2023 and the bug still exists. found out an audio app (voicemeter banana) caused adobe to lose its sh*t. this is so stupid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just commenting to note I reproduced and resolved this issue by disabling audio input in settings as well as of May 5, 2023.

My environment is:

• Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Adobe Premier Pro 2023 23.3.0 Build 61

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines