• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pro Res proxies playing slowly

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and apologies if this has been answered before (but I have looked around in other posts and not seen a clear answer about this).

I am editing a sports project shot primarily on a Red camera with 4k/6K files of different frame rates. I am running the latest version of Premiere and attached medium size Pro Res proxies to all of the files (most are between 15-30 MB). Proxies are toggled on.

The proxies play smoothly outside Premiere (in VLC or whatever) but in Premiere they need to be rendered, and many still play back slowly after rendering.

Before I assume it's a RAM issue I wanted to check if there could be any other reason for this. My hardware specs are below. Size of proxy (eg low res Pro Res) doesn't seem to make a difference. I thought maybe it was because I am working off a external hard drive with a USB cable, but I dragged one of the Pro Res proxies to the desktop and when I pulled it into Premiere, it still lags after rendering (but playback is smooth in QT Player).

I have seen in some posts that 32K is generally the minimum needed for 4K editing but I wouldn't have assumed that is the case when working with proxies? I'm not super tech savvy but have worked with transcoded 8K footage early this year with no playback issues in the software.

Mac OS Catalina v 10.15.3, iMac (Retina 4K, late 2015), Processor: 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHZ DDR3, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

If the issue is definitely my computer, can anybody suggest what Mac hardware I would need to handle this type of footage comfortably?

Also, is having to render Pro Res proxies normal?

Thanks in advance.
TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up, I think this has something to do with how they are attaching because when I important the proxy files into a new project (without attaching to the source material) they play back fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Divya5EB6,

Sorry to hear about this. Assuming that you have tried moving the proxy files to the internal drive & not the original source files. Please try these steps & let us know if it works properly.

• Move one of the source files (R3D files or the original high res files) to the internal drive & import in a new project.
  • Create proxy from this file & check if the playback is better in this new project.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines