• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with media import

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a 5 hour .mp4 file to an Adobe Premiere Pro.  It's only bringing in 3 hours and 22 minutes.  Is there a file size limit?  How do I get it to import the entire 5 hours into the project file so I can edit it?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the footage is variable framerate convert to constant framerate with Handbrake or Shutter Encoder before bringing into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann.  The original video file is an .mp4 created by Zoom.  Here's what I found on Zoom's technical support page:

Note: With version 3.5 and above, the MP4 recording is a single-resolution with fixed frame rate format to ensure better compatibility with media players. Versions prior to 3.5 are created using individual MP4 files and are multi-resolution with variable frame rate format.

I'm pretty sure my video falls under the "fixed frame rate" format, which is the same as "constant frame rate," correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try transcoding it anyway.

If you happen to be on macOS, right-click the file and choose Services > Encode Selected Video Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Warren,

If you happen to be on macOS, right-click the file and choose Services > Encode Selected Video Files.

Wait. Wot? Need to check this out.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On more recent versions macOS, it's at the first level of the right-click pop-up menu options and not under "Services".

It's great for quick transcodes to H264, H265, H265 with translarency, and ProRes422.  The options presented will vary based on which version of macOS is being used as well.

The download side is that the status indicator is a tiny cicle to the right of the filename. 

The upside is that you can start transcodes really fast without having to launch an app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on Mac.  On PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only way to find out is use Mediainfo for the framerate mode.

I agree with Warren: transcode anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to convert using Handbrake to a constant frame rate.  The software stopped converting the file at the exact spot that Premiere will bring the data in (3hrs 22 minutes).  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JprettyDES1500,

Sorry about this development. It sounds like your source file has some sort of corruption at that timecode stamp. That can happen with these files that are so long on duration and are from screen captures or other streaming sources.

Often, you have to convert the file into two parts: one before the problem occurs and one after it's completed. Is that possible to do? Another thing to try is to convert the file to something like ProRes LT. Some editors prefer not to go down that road because of large file sizes, but it also would be on my list of things to try.

Anyway, come back after trying these things. I think they could get you back on track.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines