• Global community
    • Language:
      • Deutsch
      • English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Problem with partial conversion of a .srt file to a caption track (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just finished transcribing 1 hr 17 minutes of audio in the third-party application INQscribe.  In total there are 1,188 captions with exact in/out points.

I exported the transcript as .srt, and imported it into premiere.  The issue is that only 26 minutes worth of the transcript has been converted to an open captions track in Premiere.  Any ideas what is going on and why the full .srt file is not transferring?

 

Thanks,

Grant

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

1.3K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

One possibility is that there is an error in the .srt where the captions do not import, or that PR is not interpreting correctly. Open in a text editor and take a look.

In the PR project panel, double click on the .srt import (opens in source Monitor), and open the Captions Panel. Do you see all the captions there?

Likes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility is that there is an error in the .srt where the captions do not import, or that PR is not interpreting correctly. Open in a text editor and take a look.

In the PR project panel, double click on the .srt import (opens in source Monitor), and open the Captions Panel. Do you see all the captions there?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for motivating me to reinspect the .srt transcript.  After further review I did find some very minor errors that were the cause of the problem.  I've managed to import the full caption track now. 

Thank you Stan.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Captions can have such odd issues it's always nice when it is something logical.

Thanks for reporting back.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also helped me! There was an extra space in the timecode. I had this in my srt file: 

 

4
00:00:11:99 --> 00: 00:16:83

 

And once I deleted that space, the full file imported!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, old threads are just that, OLD! And other times, they are the gift that keeps on giving. Glad this helped!

 

Stan

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i could solve this problem with a rediclous way

i opened srt file and copied all of line and paste them into office word and then i copies from word and paste into notpad.

then i copied them from notepad and  paste into the new project in subtitle edit program 

and save as a new file . and Bingooooooooooo 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain exactly what "paste into the new project in subtitle edit program " means, thank you !
I also wrestled with this issue for almost the whole day.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's see if @saman5EE3 is around....

 

I think that "subtitle edit program" refers to the third party Subtitle Edit:

https://nikse.dk/

 

There's nothing magic about copying and pasting as described. But sometimes, you get the format sorted or cleanup random inivisible characters. I just open the original srt file in Subtitle Edit, then run the Tools -> Fix Common Errors, selecting all the possibilities. "Remove empty lines/unused line breaks" is the first one in the list! Then I click "Next," and just look at the issues. Sometimes I allow the proposed fixes; other times, not. It may be applying formatting rules that I don't want.

 

 Stan

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines