• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems importing XDCAM footage with new Mac Studio

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems trying to import and work with footage shot on Sony PMW-350 cameras.  The file format is XDCAM EX.  The file structure separates long clips into smaller files of about 3.5GB in size (about 17 minutes) and my new Mac Studio running the latest version of Premiere only sees and imports the first 17 minutes of the footage using Media Browser.  I can use a workaround by manually importing each file separately and "stiching" them together later but Premiere is not reading the timecode properly.  Premiere thinks each clip's timecode starts at zero.  Also, it interprets the footage as non-dropframe when it's actually drop frame.  I can change this later but the whole process working with XDCAM EX footage is tedious and cumbersome.  Never had any of these issues using my old iMac.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that I'm not familiar with that file type, but are there any sidecar files that conatin timecode? Or is all the metadata bundled into the clip?

Which verison of Premiere is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I’m using version 22.4.0 (build 57) on a new Apple Mac Studio with Monterey version 12.4.

I don’t have any importing issues using my 9 year-old iMac running the same version of Premiere. With these files I always import using Media Browser.

I’m not sure about any sidecar files containing timecode. I’m attaching a screen shot where you can see the file structure of the raw footage.

Basically the camera writes long clips (bigger than 3.5GB or so) into separate files which is a drag but editing programs are smart enough to stitch them together upon import so they’re seen and act as one long continuous clip. And just to be clear, it was recorded as just one long clip in the camera.

I’m also attaching screen shots showing the Media Browser windows using my old iMac and my new Mac Studio. You’ll see that Premiere on my iMac shows a clip length of 1;00;08;06 but Premiere on the Mac Studio only shows a clip length of 16:23:29.

Also, this footage was shot drop frame which the iMac recognizes but the Mac Studio does not.

Let me know if you need more info…also, I’d be happy to meet via Zoom and I can share my desktop.

Many thanks,

-Matt

(Personal Information removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton might be able to help with this ... he's pretty knowledgeable on both Mac things and many of the heavy-meta pro media like the XDCAM stuff and the workflow processes involved.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you ingesting these into Premiere in the MediaBrowser panel?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Matt24207307miwc 

Hi, Matt.

For the time being, you'll have to run Premiere Pro in Rosetta2 emulation mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

As for when you'll be able to run Premiere Pro natively, you'll want to keep an eye on the "Known differences and limitations" section of this support document: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/premiere-pro-for-apple-silicon.html

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines