• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with non standart aspect ratios in Premiere. How are you dealing wit it ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example footage from Camera Sony Venice has aspect 1.8 How can I use it in Premiere? There is a little number of presets for Pixel aspect ratio (square, 1.094, 1.333 etc). Why After effect has a lot more presets? Why in after Effect i can edit file Interpretation Rules.txt and add custom settings, but in Premiere (I have tried to work with Interpretation Rules.txt (in Plugins folder)) it doesn't work? I need ratios like 1.3, 1.8  and some for anamorphic lenses. Please help me to solve this problem. I'm very frustrated and disappointed. (((.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select a clip in a bin, and "make sequence from clip", PrPro will match the clip's meta for framesize/rate and PAR. So you can quickly get a sequence to match nearly any media.

And it's easy to make custom presets from current sequences or from scratch.

So I don't really understand your problem ... ?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Ok, I have many files from  the camera 6048x4032 (par 1.8). So in source monitor the picture is squzed verticaly (because Premiere uses square PAR ). If I make a sequnce from a source file  - I have the same squized picture in the program monitor. The only way I see - calculate resolution for the sequnce (10886x4032) and use transform effect to fit media. But it's a wrong and inconvenient way. I want to work with source files with right proportions, not sequences. Besides After Effect lets me set the right PAR ... why Premiere, program for editing, doesn't ? There was good idea using Interpretation Rules.txt for custom resolutions PAR etc ... but,  it looks like was working some versions ago ...  not in an up to date version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking up on the Venice specs, yea, I can see the 1.8 PAR listed.

I don't know how to really get around that in PrPro, as they don't have any custom PAR settings. I can't see one in Ae either.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I posted about this over on the Public Beta forum, as there tends to be more engineer monitoring there. And specifically asked for a couple major staffers to respond.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for respond. In AE you can edit file  Interpretation Rules.txt. I just added line  // # Sony Venice 1:1.80, 0, 0, "0000", * = 18/10/"Sony Venice 1.8", *, *, *, *, *// and new custom aspect stared working.
In Premiere we also have this kind of file (in Plugins folder). But for me it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premire Pro will let you create custom sequences with odd aspect ratios like 2100 X 564 or even 890 X 1600. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i can set custom aspect ratio, but I can't set custom PAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant you can set custom framesizes for sequnces, not custom PAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline frame aspect ratio ... frame-width/frame-height ... and PAR ... pixel aspect ratio ... are two different things.

I'm still unsure which you're having an issue with. I can't see anything allowing PAR in Ae different than in PrPro. They are both showing exactly the same list of PAR options, and neither allows for custom PAR that I can see.

Frame aspect ratio ... the width of the frame divided by the height of the frame, both in pixels ... is completely up to the user to set in both apps.

So ... I'm guessing it's the frame-size you're struggling with? Getting the right frame width and frame height?

As again, there's no custom option in Ae I know of for PAR.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In AE file  Interpretation Rules.txt works well. You can add custom settings to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I still haven't gotten a reply on the Public Beta forum query about this. We are at a time when many Adobe employees take a summer break ... so getting answers directly from the team can be spotty.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for help. I will be waiting )).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'll bump that post every couple days until we do get a reply ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by using PPanel with script. So i can change PAR whatever i like...

function changePAR (item) {
                if ((item.type == ProjectItemType.FILE) || (item.type == ProjectItemType.CLIP)) {
                    // If there is an item, and it's either a clip or file...
                    item.setOverridePixelAspectRatio(185100);
                } else {
                    $._PPP_.updateEventPanel('You cannot override the PAR of bins or sequences.');
                }
            } else {
                $._PPP_.updateEventPanel("No project items found.");
            }
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey KarMike,

This sounds like a great solution, would it be possible for you to go into greater detail about implementing this? Never used custom scripts in PP.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe this is horrible. I'm doing CC on a project a whole production team got derailed for weeks because they shot 1.8 anamorphic and guess what programs don't have an option for it! Premiere and AE both! so they struggled. Just going through their files, sequences, and all the workarounds for a simple PAR value!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that, LCKYNYC. This is more of a user-to-user forum. Can you let the team know about this issue here? https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines