• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Productions Project Forcing Me to Relink the Same Files Across Multiple Productions

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all! We are working on a couple feature length productions (think more of a documentary workflow. than a narrative) with 3-4 editors in the same Production simultaeneously via a local server. Up until today we have been working with most of our raw files on RAIDs while the server only held the production. We are now migrating all our files onto the server to accomodate more editors. On top of that we've been having some crazy deadlines lately that have caused the files on our drives to get a bit disorganized. We are now getting things cleaned up (including some renaming which I know isn't ideal) and it's causing a pretty annoying relinking mess in Productions. Before I jump into that, here is an overview of our production:

Productions > Assets > Individual projects with all our raw files including footage, graphics, SFX, etc. 

Productions > Sequences > Our working/selects projects which are empty of any files aside from a few working sequences.

We knew we would have to relink everything in our "Assets" projects at least once. However, our hope was that it would apply to projects later down the line. However, we have discovered. that even though we relink the files on the source "Assets" project, we also have to relink them on all projects that have those files in working sequences (again, these files do not appear in the working projects, only in the timelines where they are linked to the asset projects with the source media). Saving and leaving the asset project open does not make a difference.

We've been seeing multiple problems with source media not updating down the line. Including with multicams sequences, proxy creation, etc.  It's really frustrating that this is happening and, as far as I can tell, nothing we do is making changes translate to all our projects. Would love to get input on how to fic this or see Adobe fix all these productions bug moving forward.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

@Zachcfowler I'm sorry you're seeing issues here. I wanted to at least chime in with how it should work:

1. Premiere is closed, and the media is moved to the server.
  2. The RAIDs are disconnected so only the server media paths are visible
  3. Open the production and open each Assets project, relinking as you go to the server media
  4. With the relinked Asset projects still open, open each Sequence project
  5. When the sequence project opens and asks to relink the media, click Cancel
  6. Premiere should then update t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zach,

I am sorry you are experiencing this. Migration and major workflow changes, even version updates, should be done when you have a break in the action or at least when deadlines are not looming. I am sorry you are in this predicament.

As to why relinking is not automatic or easy in the regard is a pretty major issue, and I empathize with this situation - I used to manage 30 editors on a network down in LA, and situations like this do arise. In my opinion, it should be automatic or simple, like this

Premiere Pro is not great at relinking files that are moved to new drives, much less ripple the linking to multiple projects in a Production carrying the same file. as they require generating a new file path. Unitl relinking is more robust and disregards filepaths, this issue will linger - because as I see it, that's the thing I think you need. This forces you, in many situations, to relink files one at at time. I would advise that you file a bug here on User Voice about the issue: Premiere Pro User Voice.

If anyone else in the community has suggestions, let's hear them. I found the relinking process a little easier (if you have to relink single files) is if you uncheck the "Use Media Browser to Locate Files" option. This allows you to use Finder or Explorer to relink the files and that may make this tedious task a bit easier.

I apologize that this issue is occurring. Again, address the devs directly on User Voice. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zachcfowler I'm sorry you're seeing issues here. I wanted to at least chime in with how it should work:

1. Premiere is closed, and the media is moved to the server.
  2. The RAIDs are disconnected so only the server media paths are visible
  3. Open the production and open each Assets project, relinking as you go to the server media
  4. With the relinked Asset projects still open, open each Sequence project
  5. When the sequence project opens and asks to relink the media, click Cancel
  6. Premiere should then update the links for the timeline media based on what it finds in the Assets projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks you both for your replies! @mattchristensen hitting cancel when the relink dialogue box showed up fixed it for us, thanks so much for the tip! Still may submit a report at some other point about the proxies and multicam updates though. Those have still been a bit problematic. This definitley helps for now though.

Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines