Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

professional music peaking in premiere

Enthusiast ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i edit a lot of music videos

and when i import the music any professionally made music that i get from itunes, or a CD or anywhere

its well in the red on premieres VU meter, looks to be peaking at or above 0

i often have to knock it back by a decibel or so, just so that i can be sure its not peaking, but im concerned that im reducing the quality by reducing the volume  (ie. a tiny bit less dynamic range)

im wondering whats up with that?  surely it should be just below 0

maybe this is just how modern music is mastered (loudness war and all )

but surely it should still be just below 0 on the meter.

when i import music into my DAW  (reaper) it isnt peaking like that. is the VU meter on premiere just a bit over sensitive in how it represents the audio?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reducing the gain shouldn't lower the quality. If it's not already peaking in the recording, reducing the volume should be no problem.

I wonder if like you said, Premiere's meter is a bit sensitive, or if Reaper auto corrects the gain.

It depends what music you are using. Some EDM is a little more aggressive and might be more distorted. Most other genres, including most of EDM anyway, are mastered in a way that sounds good AND doesn't peak. I guess the exception might be hard rock/metal.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its not EDM, its Reggaeton, but this would be the case with any pop music that i put into premiere

i think its simply mastered to hit very close to zero

and this causes premiere to register it as peaking, so you get the red alert thing on the VU meter

but it isnt actually going above zero.  so to me premieres vu meter is not working right if its telling me that something is peaking, when actually it isnt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere could be reading Inter sample peaks.

A web search for 'inter sample peaks' will have more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines