• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program Monitor Lags with Scaling & Position Changes - Scrubbing is FAST, Playback is Delayed/Laggy

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually post on forums for help.. but this situation requires it. I can find nothing to help me with this issue, I've been searching for a week. I've tried all kids of stuff, it gets pretty weird. 

My system:

RTX 3090

64GB 4000mhz DDR4

4x 1TB m.2 SSDs (no HDDs)

Windows 11

The issue: 

When I change the scale/position of a video or image it freezes during playback, and when using the mouse to reposition something inside the monitor it's super super laggy. Primarily when increasing the scale or zooming in on something. What's weird though is that scrubbing over the footage is zippy fast. I can scrub and see each frame perfectly, even faster than playback speed. They're mp4 files, but I have tried creating a low res proxy and it does the exact same thing. 

Here's where it gets a little weird though... so after a few days of melting my brain on this I discovered that immediately after tabbing back into premiere, everything works perfect for 2-3 seconds! I can reposition something with the mouse and its smooth as butter!---

My GPU has a lot of coil whine (normal for Strix OC 3090) and I'm using an open air case. If I click and drag premiere or a detached panel around for a few seconds, I can hear the coil whine like it's working the GPU, then I quickly click back in and the coil whine continues for 2-3 seconds during which time it seemingly works perfectly! What the heck.... right? Like premiere decides not to use the GPU or something.

When I google it, all I get no matter the search is various ways to fix lag "10 Ways to Make Premiere Run Faster!!!!" and it's a little annoying to be honest. I have done every single optimization step known to premiere. 

Here's what I've tried to fix it:

- all Premiere optimizations in settings (clearing cache, selecting openGL/cuda, scale to frame, disabling transmit, reinstalling, clearing preferences, trying premiere beta, etc.)

- reinstall and fresh install game ready drivers

- reinstall and fresh install studio drivers

- re-seating the GPU 

- flashing latest GPU bios

- flashing latest motherboard bios

- enabling/disabling game mode

- enabling disabling HGPU Scheduling in Windows

- Manually selecting high performance mode/cuda in Windows and Nvidia Control Panel 

- disconnecting second monitor

- disabling gsync

- uninstalling various other programs

- disabling iGPU in bios

- creating a fresh "new user" in Windows and installing ONLY Premiere

- probably like 10 other things I'm forgetting lol 

It seems to me like Premiere is refusing to use the GPU for scaling or something. Short of reinstalling Windows, I'm out of ideas. 

Please obi wan you're my only hope 

Vid showing the dragging panel fixes issue for 2-3 seconds - https://youtu.be/VEx__0vSXvk

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional things I have tried:

- setting mic hardware input to no input

- reinstalling my motherboard's chipset drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you fixed this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I think something happens within Premiere Pro's programming that makes it not fully utilize the 3D capabilities of the GPU when the program is full screen. I have tried a bunch of different settings within nvidia control panel and nothing fixed the issue. 

I will note that I temporarily switched to a 6900xt, and the effect was slightly less (the motion in premiere was less choppy), but it was still there. 

Hopefully a new driver or a premiere update makes things smoother. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey champ. Did you ever find a solution to the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... I think it's a feature at this point lol 

Now a year later I'm having almost the opposite problem with a 4090 installed. The scaling thing still happens no matter what, but now it's like the UI lags and scrubbing is incredibly slow, but when I press spacebar the file plays immediately regardless of scaling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened up a ticket for this. I tried to use custom adobe footage that came with the program and the positioning and zooming was perfect. Try one of the custom built-in footages and let me know if you still have the same issues. Maybe its the video codec causing the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resizing the images in Photoshop and then importing them as the correct size?

The less scaling you do inside Premiere Pro, the better off you will be as far as resource use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Is there a solution to this?

PC specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

RAM 64.0 GB

samsung SSD 970 evo plus 1TB

Nvidia GeForce rtx 2080 ti 11 gb

I have the latest adobe premiere, the latest windows, and the latest nivdia driver. It's a gaming driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double check that integrated graphics is disabled - Win X, Device Manager, Display Adaptor, right click and disable any integrated GPU.  Ensure files are on your local drive.  Have you got a GPU control panel - I have the NVidia control panel where I like to increase GPU capacity and specs for Premiere Pro.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you disable intel integrated graphics I think you will get worse live playback on h.264 and h.265 in most cases... Intel igpu is very useful for live playback in premiere 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened up a ticket for this. I tried to use custom adobe footage that came with the program and the positioning and zooming was perfect. Try one of the custom built-in footages and let me know if you still have the same issues. Maybe its the video codec causing the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this fix works for you, but I found my fix. It is the POLLING RATE of your mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a gaming mouse (which I assume you do because of your specs) you must beusing a 1000Hz polling rate. Your polling rate has to be 250 or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this fix works for you, but I found my fix. It is the POLLING RATE of your mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a gaming mouse (which I assume you do because of your specs) you must beusing a 1000Hz polling rate. Your polling rate has to be 250 or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was really hoping that would fix it but no luck. 

i'm really tired of these bugs. It was timeline lagging at 23.1 version and now this is happening to me. Timeline scrubbing is perfect, no lag at all but when i try to re-size or move a clip, it lags like HELL. What i think is, something i use in my sequence causing that (primary suspects are JPEG files) but i'm doing something complicated. I can't re-size every single image in Photoshop or convert every single footage to something else for this software to work properly. It's supposed to handle these things.

*sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just found that, i was using an adjusment layer which includes "Clip Name" effect in it. That KILLS the sequence. FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2023 Jun 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg, you're right!

I set polling rate of my mouse to 125hz, and scaling and transforming now smooth

Here is video comparsion: https://youtu.be/ArcLOs-T0Eg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm a year late, but I just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work! I was pretty excited TBH. I've learned to live with it though. Thanks for the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Is it a bug..?
I checked all the project settings & timeline settings for these two timelines. It's the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a fix?? is it just as simple as our timeline being too full of things that it cant handle even the simplest of tasts? so strange. i really need to figure this out in order to do my job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think this is just part of having a lot of things on the timeline. I don't believe this has a fix. If you ever found one I would love to hear it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines