Program Non-Responsive When Changing File Name on Export

Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening ever since I moved from Mac Premiere to Windows Premiere in 2016. Something like twice a week, when I go to export a sequence, then click on it's file name to choose where to send it, nothing happens. And when I click anywhere on the Premiere window, I get the windows error sound. What it seems like is happening, is the explorer window doesn't open, but Premiere thinks its open. Then I have to end the task and open premiere again. This has caused me to click save by muscle memory before I go to export every time. Just wondering if this is widespread? Or just me. It's happened spanning Intel and AMD CPUs and multiple versions of Windows.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi danield25437812,

We're sorry about the poor experience. Which version of Premiere Pro are you using?  Have you tried resetting app preferences to isolate any preference corruption issue that might be causing the app to misbehave? Also, let us know if your workspace is split across multiple monitors.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please answer Sumeet's queries. I've been using Pr since CS6, near a decade back now, all on Windows, across five different machines. I think I've had this happen maybe twice in all that time, so let's see about sorting it out.

Also ... how about showing the full file-tree/naming of a file that had this happen ... complete from the drive through the folders to the filename itself.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I just totally reinstalled Windows and installed Premiere fresh, didn't migrate any settings except my Keyboard shortcuts. I'll let you know if it continues to happen, but I have reinstalled Windows before, and the problem has persisted. I have always used Dropbox to sync my files, maybe that's an issue? the file tree looks like:

F:/Dropbox/VIDEOS/EDITING/SHOWNAME/Name of Show.prproj

At the moment I'm dealing with project files that range in size, one is at 30MB rn, another is 2MB, other ones have been 8MB and it happens regularly. I have it in my muscle memory to save my projects before exporting because it happens so often so luckily, I almost never lose work. But I do have to force restart because Windows gets confused or Premiere gets confused, not sure which.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox goes through the folder every X  number of minutes, and tags things as to whether they've got new material and need a sync process and other things. So it's on/off active in the folder, and doing things to the files. This causes issues at times with Premiere's both recognizing and getting continuous reading of the files.

Some users don't have much problems with it, others can have a lot more. I'm not sure why, but ... it can be a difficult issue for Premiere at times with certain users.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I should note that I am using multiple monitors, but my workspace is not split between them, Premiere is on one and I have notes or tracking docs up on the other. Are you using multiple monitors? Are you using dropbox?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use four monitors, actually ... 😉

And no, I don't use dropbox for online storage. I use LucidLink's service, which is some cost but vastly improved capabilities.

My partner is in Cape Town, I'm in western Oregon. Our joint projects 'live' on Amazon S3 servers in London, and we access them via LucidLink's service. It creates a virtual drive on disk, and we can run Premiere with media linked to that 'drive'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow four monitors!? That sounds awesome lol. While I have you, does Premiere go into "Not Responding" while it saves? Then reset the window? Mine has been doing that for a couple years now, I think ever since the version that added graphics card encoding/decoding. It even resizes my Transcription window when the window resets. Just wondering if it's ANOTHER thing that's just me lol.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've got another oddness going there! Wow, lucky you, eh?  Sheesh.

Sometimes there can be something buried in one of Premiere's "internal" files that it puts around the computer, that's off/corrupted. I've had that I think twice, and the fix ... I copied my presets/keyboard shortcuts and workspaces sections to elsewhere (or sync your settings up to the Adobe CC Cloud) ... and .. .went nuclear.

This: Adobe CC Cleaner Tool

It's an old, old DOS like tool. And after you figure out how to work with it's UI, and drill down to Premiere Pro, you tell it to remove all traces from your system. They say to remove the app first, but ... don't. Use the "Tool" to do both the uninstall then removal.

Then reboot, reinstall Premiere. Put your presets, workspaces, and keyboard shortcuts back in place. Or sync your settings down from the Cloud.

And it might get rid of some irregularities.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm gonna keep y'all employed for MANY years lol. While I do love me a reason to get back into DOS, I did just clean reinstall Windows, and installed Premiere from scratch, and didn't import any settings except my keyboard shortcuts. So I thinkkkk I'm working with a pure Premiere install at this point already?

Would it be an issue if I have other drives in the computer that I did not format? I don't think I used anything but C for Premiere installs... I honestly want to switch to an Intel system or at the very least maybe swap motherboards. Are you using Intel or AMD? Thanks again for all your help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Naw, you've got a clean install there ... dang! So um ... next idea  ... um ... thinking ... not getting anything.

My CPU is a 24-core Ryzen 3960X, GPU is a 2080Ti.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn. Mine's a 3900X. GPU is a 3080 Ti. Do you find that scrolling through things like the marker panel is choppy? That's something that also happens here, and I've been blaming on AMD lol.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I don't have any issue with the Marker panel, although I don't often have more than 10-15 markers in my short-ish sequences. If you've got a lot of markers, that ... might? ... be more of an issue, but I don't know.

Going back to your original comment, an issue with file names sounds like there could be an issue between Pr and the OS. Wondering about that.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines