• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prohibitive slowdown, RAM Usage and Disk Usage on opening a project. Shuts down PC.

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this is something of a common issue, but all the fixes I've seen online either have failed to work, or cannot be productively accessed.

Issue: I open a project, and I am very rarely able to make any inputs without a ten second delay before my RAM and Disk speed reaches 100%, slowing my entire PC to a halt, necessitating a forced shutdown. This massive PC strain has disconnected my 2nd display, wrecked the display to the point of windows artifacting on a black background, and completely shut down my PC. 

Attempted Solutions: I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling, Uninstalling using CC Cleaner and reinstalling, uninstalling my entire Creative Cloud using CC Cleaner and reinstalling, altering memory allowances (that seem to be ignored.), Tweaking video codecs, enabling/disabling H264/HEVC hardware accelerated decoding, wiping cache files, using backup saves from prior to the issue arising, rolling back to previous versions of Premiere, (namely 2.4 to 2.2 when I started the project) etc.

Potential sources of issues: 

The project is large, with 100+ GB of footage and other assets in the media browser. 

Rendering may have failed for upwards of 30 minutes worth of timeline footage. (Bar above the timeline is yellow and I was under the impression that the software considered that as not needing any rendering. I've learned about the Workspace in my research trying to pin this issue down and that may be the problem)

On startup in some of the less-slow saves, Premiere will give dozens upon dozens of reports of a low-level error "lowlevelimporterMPEG 39" and "lowlevelimporterfastMPEG 39"

Specs:

Windows 10

Intel i5-9400F 2.9GHz CPU.

16 GB RAM

I have 40 minutes of footage done in this, highly edited and animated. I don't want to lose this.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Sounds like you have quite a few assets, with a lot of needed metadata about them stored in the project. In stand-alone "standard" workflows, with everything in one project, Premiere has to load all meta of all assets into RAM/cache files.

But in Production mode, it doesn't. So you might want to check out Production processes. It's very, very different, but large projects don't overload the computer like in stand-alone work.

Here's three of their documents on Production workflows ...

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have quite a few assets, with a lot of needed metadata about them stored in the project. In stand-alone "standard" workflows, with everything in one project, Premiere has to load all meta of all assets into RAM/cache files.

But in Production mode, it doesn't. So you might want to check out Production processes. It's very, very different, but large projects don't overload the computer like in stand-alone work.

Here's three of their documents on Production workflows ...

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Productions Workflow for Long Form & Episodic PDF

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a long time and some more diagnostics, I believe that the current project is just locked as-is with my current specs. (the low RAM amount specifically)

Productions will serve as a very strong preventative tool moving forward. Thank you very much for sending me to learn on something I had no idea about. 

I have plans to upgrade my RAM in the coming days which should resolve the issue in the short term so that I can remain in-project long enough to better sort my assets. 

If there is another solution, or something to keep in mind that can help cleanly divide my current assets among different productions, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise I would consider this issue to be as resolved as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines