• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Export Color Oversaturation

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exported this project about 40 times trying various troubleshooting fixes. Including the following.

The left preview is the export window, the top right is the project preview and the bottom right is the export file. 

Can someone assist? 

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Kevin's on the money here - definitely sounds like a color space mismatch.

@PjMcCabe Under Preferences > General, is "Display Color Management" enabled? If not, I recommend you do so. This will have Premiere manage your display to simulate a Rec 709 (SDR) color space. So at least you're "getting what you're seeing".

Also: Go to Sequence > Sequence Settings and look at the Working Color Space. I'm assuming your intent is to deliver an SDR video, so make sure this is set to Rec 709.

From there.  R

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PjMcCabe,

Sorry about this problem. Usually, this situation occurs if there is inconsistency in the working color space between what you shot, the sequence settings you used, and the export settings you engaged. Did you shoot HDR/HLG with an iPhone or Sony camera? Was the footage interpreted before you began editing with it? Let us know more info, including your computer specs. I hope we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

A coworker shot (On I am assuming Iphone)

What do you mean by "interpreted"? 

Can you see the screenshot I attached with the export settings? 

I am working on a MAC Desktop.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.28.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin's on the money here - definitely sounds like a color space mismatch.

@PjMcCabe Under Preferences > General, is "Display Color Management" enabled? If not, I recommend you do so. This will have Premiere manage your display to simulate a Rec 709 (SDR) color space. So at least you're "getting what you're seeing".

Also: Go to Sequence > Sequence Settings and look at the Working Color Space. I'm assuming your intent is to deliver an SDR video, so make sure this is set to Rec 709.

From there.  Right click the footage in the Project Panel and select Modify > Interpret Footage. Look at the bottom where it says Color Management. If it says the "Color Space from File" is Rec 2100 HLG - this confirms it's HDR iPhone footage. There are two ways you can go about it from here.

• You can override the color space and select Rec. 709. This will make Premiere remap that footage as if it were intended for Rec. 709.
  • Or you can leave the clip as is (which likely will look a bit blown out), and apply the SDR Conform effect to the clips, which will have Premiere constrain the HDR footage to SDR specs.

You likely will still need to do some color modification at the end, but again, as long as you have display color management enabled in Premiere, you're "getting what you're seeing" for Rec 709 environments.

The kicker of all of this, is the video world still kind of sucks when it comes to color management. Not all video apps will manage color the same way. For example, videos on YouTube display in sRGB. It's close to Rec 709, but not exactly the same, so you still might have some small swings - but you hopefully shouldn't have any wild changes like you noticed before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

It seems the combination of setting " Display Color Match" and setting the sequence to "REC 709" seemed to fix it. 

For future reference, if a project is using a combination of iPhone and DSLR footage will there be similar issues to work around? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@PjMcCabe 

If you have HDR footage (from anywhere, iPhone included) and put it into an SDR sequence, then yes you'll need to conform the HDR footage, via one of the 2 methods I mentioned: Color Space Override or the SDR Conform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines