• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project file missing! Dropbox??

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, I turned on my hardrive to a notification that my drive needs to repair.

The repair literally took couple seconds and the results showed nothing.

Then once I opened up Premiere Pro, I realized my project went missing. Not in my external drive or in recent.

I of course, started freaking out and still am.

I did a bit a research and came upon this: All Premiere Pro project files have disappeared from everywhere!

It seems to be related to Drop box.

I had organized/moved some Dropbox shared files around; and uploaded some.

This is the only thing I can think of that wouldve caused this.

I had removed everything back that I remember it was at, but still nothing.

This is really frustrating.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You aren't keeping the project files in a Dropbox folder, are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am not keeping the project files in Dropbox. I've only uploaded exported videos/files. I've kept the project files on my external harddrive.

So that's why I dont think its primarily from Dropbox thats causing the error.

I dont know if this actually the same problem as the other thread I linked; or if this is just a coincidence. Because it'd be one hell of a coincidence.

Last night before going off to bed: I had exported my project and uploaded on Dropbox. While the file was uploading on dropbox, I had rearranged some shared files and such. Something I've done many times before without this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have backups?

If not, it's time to create a backup strategy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do; but I unfortunately had not backed up for a few weeks; which made this an extremely unlucky scenario for me.

Backing up is not the issue for me; avoiding and figuring out what caused this is so this doesnt happen again.

And the odd thing is that all the autosaves are gone as well. While all my other old projects are still here. Just the project I had worked on last night is completely gone.

I'm currently deep scanning my drive.

I see the folder where my project was it; but thats it for now. So hopefully when the scanning is done in 8 hours; I can recover it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brianh56551110  wrote

I do; but I unfortunately had not backed up for a few weeks; which made this an extremely unlucky scenario for me.

I know it doesn't help you at the moment, but I hope you use this as a lesson to backup frequently.

I back up frequently during work on a project using Project Name V1 , Project Name V2, etc. to both my media drive and my backup drive.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know it doesn't help you at the moment,"

I had just mentioned, I do back up; with 3 different sources: external, computer, and web source. I had not backed up it yet on a web source within a few weeks although I was backing it up on my other external.

I appreciate you trying to give advices, but I'm looking for productive ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

external, computer, and web source.

And the project is gone on both the external drive and the internal computer drive? If you're using a project location internally, and copying or using a backup app to migrate files to an external drive, PrPro wouldn't have a clue about it that other location.

I want to know about that warning the drive needed repair ... was that an OS warning?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you probably have an older premiere that would often delete cache files automatically, then delete all your project files if they were in the media folder and then synchronize and concurrently delete all your sync files. it was a bug. a fun, fun one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not keeping the project file in a Dropbox folder, then Dropbox would have nothing to do with the issue here.

If you can't find the project file on the hard drive with Explorer (or Finder), then the project would either have been deleted manually, or the crash was more serious than you think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the other thread and your comments share the Dropbox folder location ... Dropbox does do "maintenance" things on items in its folders, I would not assume that anything in a local folder for Dropbox is 'safe' ... just a precautionary thing.

And if Dropbox is the issue, well ... that's where you need check on this. The Adobe staff isn't responsible for what other companies do with their own operations on your computer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 search for .prproj files in last x days - this may help locate your project file

#2 find out where your autosave is - these will show up in the search as ProjectName-XX.prproj - you want the most recent one if you can't find your original project file.

My project backup strategy is to have a launchd process, running every few hours, that finds .prproj files that have been modified today and zips them up and stores them in Google Drive (thus they are backed up to cloud). It's neater on Avid cos it can just back up the modified bins, and just do the whole project once a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I had the same problem. It's about the place in the folder where DROPBOX is keeping the files in the updated version. Premiere cannot access this "hidden" folder address. (User/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox).

Now I can no longer see the dropbox folder to relink the files.

I had to move everything into another HD for it to work and for now I'm not using dropbox anymore.

I've already contacted Dropbox, and they didn't know how to solve the case. I also spoke with Adobe but this problem still doesn't have a solution apparently.

See the video of my case:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/ecf707df-fd41-4433-5b3b-e72711234cfc

See this other case:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/dropbox-cloudstorage-location/m-p/13151550

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are using MacOS, which you are based on the '.../Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/..' file path, you need to give Premiere Pro 'Full Disk Access' in Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines