• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project Manager - Consolidating and Proxies

Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CC2015, when you used the Project Manager to trim down a final project, it didn't do anything with any attached Proxy files.

In CC2017, doing the same thing now copies over any attached Proxy files in their entirety, regardless of any trim options.

Is there any way to prevent the copying of proxy files other than using the proxy removal workaround in Premiere, unmounting the drive that contains the proxy files, or manually deleting the proxy files after they are copied over?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, it's still an issue in CC2018: when consolidating, Adobe Premiere also copies the proxy files, which is useless.

There should be an option not to copy the proxy file when consolidating. It's a waste of (copy) time and disk space.

I just dropped a Feature Request/Bug Report Form , although I wonder if it's any use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature/bug requests filed get distributed in collated lists to all the managerial types ... so they are definitely noticed, and I'd guess how many of X are received is a rather important data bit to them also.

It's the most direct way to give feedback to the development team. And is part of their decision making process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to get some clips to my color-correcting guy, ver frustrated.  Here is my clunky work-around:

1. Export an EDL (I tried a FCP XML - that adds other problems)

2. Create a new project and import the EDL, relink the files

3. Do a project manager of the new sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello !

Is this bug has been fixed ? i have the same problem right now

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antoine,

Do you mean it's copying proxies into your 'consolidated' project?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes exactly : what can i do to avoid that issue without delating manualy the proxies ? 

i just want in my consolidated projet the hi-res files without the proxies

thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the Project Manager still does not currently support Proxy files, so this is still an open issue.

I know it is not ideal, but you could try moving the Proxies to another location on disk (no need to delete). When the Link Media dialog appears to locate your Proxy files, choose Cancel (if you want Link Media to appear again for Proxy files next time you open this Project) or Offline All (if you don't want Link Media dialog to appear next time you open this Project). Now run Project Manager operation to consolidate only the hi-res files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will do that
thank you very much for the quick answer !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into this as well, but COVID is impacting this as we would like to continue to have the proxies attached to the media-managed files, but to have them be consolidated to a matching length of the new media-managed master clips.  What I am running into is that a clip from an original with a duration of 00:20:08:10 becomes a clip that is 0:00:04:00 when it is media managed, but the attached proxy is still 00:20:08:10 long.  Moreover, when I view the proxy, I see the incorrect frame - it appears to be counting the frames from the head of media-managed clip and applying that frame count to the proxy, so I am seeing frames near the start of the proxy for all clips from the same source.  With COVID requiring us to do more remote work, the proxies are very useful, but this is making sequences hard to work with.  Do you have a recommendation on a workflow to take to generate new proxies for a media-managed sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried creating new proxies after the media managed process?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple yet effective...  now that I understand what is at the root of this, it is probably workable to re-create proxies.  It would be great for there either to be no proxies on the media-managed clips to prevent confusion, or for the Project Manager to handle this whole process.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please feel free to add your feedback in UserVoice for Proxy support in the Project Manager - https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Until then, a possible workaround is to create a Save As for your Project (so that original Project is not changed). Select all your media in the Project panel, right-click and choose Proxy > Detach Proxies (added in Premiere Pro 14.3.1). Now run Project Manager to consolidate only your Full-Res media (as the Proxies were detached). You can then run Proxy > Create Proxies on your media-managed clips.

I know it's not ideal, but hopefully helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this topic. I don't see the proxy-copying behavior of Premiere project manager as a bug. Here's a use case: if I'm copying a project for someone else to work on, then I would want my team-mate to have the proxy files since the proxies are an integral part of the workflow. For those who don't want proxies, there are 2 solutions: detach proxies or don't use them to begin with. For my part, I'm glad Project Manager doesn't exclude the proxy files by default. Granted, it would be nice if the dialogue box in Project Manager had the option to specify. Good luck, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that wasn't explained fully above: If ANY of your clips have proxies attached to them those proxies will be consolidated--EVEN IF you didn't use those clips in the final sequence you're consolidating. So you end up with a consolidated project that successfully consolidates the high res versions of the clips you need AND the proxies of those clips AND every single other proxy that exists in the project. Which could be hundreds of unused proxies. Not ideal. There are SO many bugs in premiere that have existed for half a decade or more--it's pretty frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire consolidate process in the Project Manager has options with implications that are hard to find. So talking with an engineer, they'll go ... "Oh, well, this option does X which you don't need, so set this here and do Y."

Um, how were we supposed to puzzle that out? Yea, I've complained about that myself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, bang on. I would understand if only the proxies pertaining to the clips used in the sequence are consolidated and copied in the new destination. Right now, ALL proxies are copied, making the consolidation process of a large project a real nightmare. This is a bug.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much for posting this, this thread has fully solved something I couldn't work out while consolidating a massive project for online - hopefully premiere updates this issue soon as it is such a pain!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for you?

Having a massive issue with this and it is SO frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked best for me was to find all proxy files in Premiere, right click and make them offline. Files are still there. Premiere knows where they are if you want to reattach. Recommend a "save as" first just in case. Then the proxies aren't connected and don't copy over with consolidation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I duplicated the project and then detached all the proxies for the raw media and this solved it!! For some reason premiere was copying all the proxies for the whole project not just the sequence I was consolidating, but after detatching them it consolidated all fine and only did the relevent files 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to continue this thread because it's a bug that needs to be cleared up. 

I'm trying to consolidate audio only to send for mix. I created a sequence with the audio only and wiped out all the video tracks. When I go to project manager and try copy the media from this sequence it also copies all of the video proxy files that were associated with this timeline. Why on earth is this happening to a sequence that only has audio on it?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem in 15.4.1 - I encountered it when trying to prep a project for colour.

I tried to manage a project and it copied over with proxies PLUS a bunch of proxies that had nothing to do with the sequence. I detached all the proxies from everything in the bin, and re-exported and it worked. Good thing I checked because I almost sent it off to colour with the proxies. This really needs a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I agree with this being an issue. Especially the copying of Proxies that aren't even used?!? What's the upside of that ever? Besides it taking the extra time, I simply deleted any media that was a proxy file. When I fired up the project the single sequence played fine. Nothing in the sequence was offline. But, yeah, on a big project there were a lot of unneccessary proxies in there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines