• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project panel sort order reverts to "Frame Rate" column after closing and reopening projects

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm hoping someone has discovered why this might happen as I haven't found a solution in the forums, or anywhere else online. As the subject line suggests, the issue I'm having is that every time a Premiere project is opened the sort order in the project panel (in list view) reverts to "Frame Rate" and not "Name" which becomes an issue when you are using footage with different frame rates, but want the project to be sorted in name order.

It's particularly annoying when I've had it sorted in name order and then the next day I don't realise it's reverted to frame rate order and then wonder why the chronological order of the footage is all over the place.

I have tried saving custom workspaces with the project panel sorted in name order, and I've tried saving custom metadata settings, and custom view settings in the project panel. No matter what, if I save and close and then reopen any project, then the sort order reverts to “Frame Rate”. Sometimes it has opened to something else to the right of the “Name” column such as “Proxy”, but mostly just “Frame Rate”.

This issue has been happening with brand new projects, and old projects, and on at least 8 different Apple machines I work with, including iMacs and Mac Pros running macOS Mojave and an M1 Mac mini running Big Sur. This issue has been happening consistently over multiple versions of Premiere for a long time now, and I first noticed it with CC 2019, but currently I’m running Premiere Pro 2021 v15.2.0 (Build 35) and this issue persists.

If anyone has any clue why it may be happening I would love to hear it, as so far I feel like I’ve reached my limit of problem solving as to what the possible cause/solution might be. The only consistency I’ve found is that when a project is opened then it will revert to sorting the project panel using whatever column is next to the “Name” column, and it doesn’t make a difference which column you had everything sorted by when you saved and closed the project, it could be”Name”, “Media Duration”, “Video Info” etc, no matter what it will revert to “Frame Rate” or another column right next to the “Name” column.

Thanks in advance for any clues on how to fix this problem!

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob,

while your solution does work, the issue automatically reappears after a week or so for me. So my guess would be that this behaviour is some sort of bug. I opened a ticket over at uservoice hoping the problem reaches the developers.

Until then, trashing the preferences or reinstalling seems to be the only fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I should have mentioned I've tried all solutions I could think of such has resetting preferences, workspaces, creating and saving custom metadata settings, but this issue persists even on brand new installs of the operating system and creative cloud, and on different types of Macs, both M1 an Intel chips, so it's a much bigger issue than one computer needing to be reset. As @beobardo mentioned below trashing preferences and resetting workspaces or anything else doesn't fix the issue as no matter what temporary fix is applied the issue pops up again. But it sounds like you don't have this issue, so are you running Premiere on a Mac? Wondering if it's a Mac thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so are you running Premiere on a Mac? 

By @lazylizzie

I'm a Windows guy.

The last Mac I used required a 5.25 inch floppy to be inserted in order to boot it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually continually have this issue as well. It's part of my project re-opening cycle to set it back to Name. Voted on your UV post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Premiere on Mac? I'm wondering if it's Mac specific and that's why not that many people are talking about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mostly PC these days. I do have an older Mac laptop that I have Premiere on and I checked there and that actually did maintain the Name column upon opening when I had that saved.  

And since this post I've noticed it maintained a couple of times in my current project on PC as well, so it's not even an every time kind of thing. But I do feel like I notice it happen a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines