• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prores Exports in 8-Bit on M1 Max

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to the M1 Max, anytime I export my footage from Premiere in Prores422 HQ to grade in Resolve, I get artifacting that appears to be an 8-bit image instead of 10-bit. The source footage is all 10bit Prores422. When working from the original file in Resolve, the image is clean, and when I export from my 2019 Intel iMac, I get a clean, 10-bit-looking file, which makes me think this is some sort of weird M1 bug. 

I get the same result from Premiere Beta and the non-Beta Premiere, (though I typically use the non-beta because I find it a bit more stable). Both are up-to-date as of this morning, 4/22/22. I'd worry I'm making a dumb mistake in my export settings but everything comes out fine on the Intel iMac with the same settings.

I've managed to make things work with my current workflow so I'm not desperate, but it's a pain to use a different machine to export or have to resize every clip for a feature doc in Resolve if I export an XML.

I can't for the life of me find anyone else discussing this, so I thought I'd throw it out there to get it on the radar if anyone else encounters this too.

(I know the attached photos are slightly different grades, it's not a grading problem) 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere, make sure on export to set the Max Bit Depth option on, and to select the 16-bpc box.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil! I enable that every time I export though, so unfortunately it's not the source of my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also on M1 Max. Not sure if this is helpful, long past, but disabling Hardware Encoding and Prores Hardware Encoding in Preferences > Media and restarting my machine fixed this nagging 10 bit prores issue for me both in the timeline and on export, and ensuring "High Quality Playback" is checked for timeline playback. 

---
Cinematic Video Production, 17+ Years of Excellence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... as long as I've got those set, I can export ProRes and go into Resolve and the bit depth is correct. Wonder what's up on yours? That's ... nasty.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's a real weird one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a similar issue. ALEXA Mini LF ProRes 4444 OCM cut in Premiere.

Exporting 4097x1716 ProRes, DNx, DPX, EXR, all at max depth/max quality -- they all exhibit a color shift/degradation on an M1 Mac Studio.

On a Mac Pro 7,1 Intel -- no issue.

Installed the beta 23.4 and the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac studio did you disable hardware and prores encoding? That in conjunction with enabling max depth/max quality and ensuring 'high quality playback' was checked resolved my prores issues on the Apple Silicon. Encouraging to hear it went away in the beta. 

---
Cinematic Video Production, 17+ Years of Excellence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well... Yep, fully disabling hardware acceleration fixes it. And upon further inspection, the beta (with HW acceleration enabled) is much better but not as "perfect" has HW acceleration disabled on the non beta.

So for a true 1:1 with the source (whatever that means in the world of lossy :)), HW needs to be disabled.

Thanks for flagging!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines