• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes RAW will not play correctly on a Windows computer with an AMD GPU.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to view, decode, and edit with ProRes RAW footage taken on an Atomos Ninja V in Premiere Pro. and I cannot get it to decode even after installing the decoder from Apple. I have tested different drivers, different Windows updates and versions, and I am beginning to think, especially after research, that it is an issue with AMD GPUs. I am using an RX 6800 with Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4-3600, and Windows 11.  Please help!

[Mod: updated the title to make the issue easier to find when searching]

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest , Interoperability or 3rd party tools , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Hi all, 

We are aware of this problem that is specific to ProRes RAW and AMD GPUs (either integrated or discreet), and have been working on it with our hardware & software partners. We don't have an estimate for a fix yet but as soon as we do, we will update this post. (We will also add this issue to our Known Issues documentation. This should have been done already; my apologies for the oversight.)

The current workaround is to use software rendering. Make this change via File > Project Sett

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's automatically set to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA), also for the 4090 drivers (if this is the cause), I've tested the gaming driver and also the studio driver, same outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

Sorry about that! I have a feeling that this is an unresolved bug. Please upvote this bug report if you have time.

I'll try to chase down the bug and add your comments. Apologies for this annoying behavior.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I've added to comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh just a added note, in the link you've posted the comment was right. I've disabled the iGPU from the new Ryzen 7000 series and I can open prores videos now. However currently on the new x670 Boards for Ryzen 7xxx series, there's no way to permantly disable the iGPU in the setting, so it has to be deactivated in the device manager. However this still seems like a software bug with Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional info. Very helpful. I will add your comments to the bug.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, only just seen this reply. My heart jumped when I saw your reply, finally maybe a solution! However my PC build hasn't got an iGpu (it's an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, see top of thread) it'd be great if you could get a repro case for my issue too. Many thanks, Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Maitj!

I'm currently also having the same problem, and despite all the efforts that I've put in, nothing seems to be working for me either. If any Adobe experts could help out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very uncommon, so most of us users don't have any experience with it. And it seems to be an issue on the local machine running the Apple app connected with Premiere, from guessing at the various things that have worked.

One of those things that if you're hit by it, is REALLY painful.

I've never tried ProRes RAW in another player, wonder if it works in VLC or PotPlayer or something.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. 

reinstalled the plugin and still doesn't work.

running RTX 3090 on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any information on when a fix will arrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize that I cannot answer any "when" questions regarding what the developers have in mind. I'm not on their team, unfortunately. You could file or upvote an existing bug. That may flag the internal bug for them. I raised the issue when I met with them today. It looks like the bug may not be getting the traction it deserves. Sorry about the continuing issue. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best solution i got is to export it as Quicktime Prores and Than import the exported file and export him as h.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've tried this, too. Still no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime prores lt 422?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the way to do it:
1. check the sequence settings, i use 
editing mode: prores raw, Video preview Aplle Prores 422

2. Render In to Out the timeline (through the tab not by Pressing Enter)

3. if exporting to H.264 use software encoding only. Send to Media Encoder. Check the boxes "Use maximum render Quality" and üse Previews" (these boxes appear in the old export settings version, you can acces it by click the preset Tab in Media Encoder itself)

4. Pray

for me the rendering did it i guess, ive been working on premiere for 8 years now, never used it correctly i am used to just pressing enter. rendering is amazing the clip plays smooth with tons of adjusment layers and effects

anyway hope this will work for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lagunaman505 
Have you found any kind of solution to this? I am having the same problem with my card. I read a lot about how AMD is not compatible with the ProRes RAW. Please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

As the title says, and has been an issue for others for quite some time, my ProRes Raw footage will not decode in Premiere Pro. I have installed the ProRes RAW for Windows from apple. Regular ProRes footage is working just fine. It is the RAW that will only show a blue screen...

Here my technical specs:
- Windows 10

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 OC PULSE

- RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x16GB

- ProRes RAW for Windows V1.3 (latest)

- Premiere Pro V23.4 (latest)

- Mercury playback OpenLC
- Recorded on Ninja V+ from Sony Fs5

I know that it is not an issue on the Nvidia GPU's that can use the CUDA playback. Somewhere it got suggested to try installing the Nvidia Driver. I desperately tried, but that obviously does not work with my setup. 

I truly hope anyone has the solution for me. I don't want to be needing to buy a new Nvidia GPU...

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have followed the steps from this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/windows-premiere-pro-will-not-decode-prores-...
And I can confirm that the required registry key is there.

@David Simonton, DVA  Do you by any chance have another idea what could work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: ProRes RAW still does not work, even though there is a registry key. I also still get the notification that PP is not able to decode the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: I followed the steps of this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/prores-raw-can-t-be-decoded/td-p/13123838 

They suggested turning off the IGPU. Though I do not have an IGPU. So a dead end once again...

@Kevin-Monahan would you by any chance know more about the issue above? Your expertise would be appreciated here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paulusk1313,

I added your post to the bug that is filed. It appears that the issue is being actively worked on. I hope that the fix will be done ASAP. Keep your eye on the beta version, where the fix is likely to appear sooner than the released version. Sorry for the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin. I will look out for it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan, has any progress been made? I'm on a similar spec to paulusk, just that I'm on an AMD laptop with integrated graphics, and I encountered the issue today. I tried moving to Premiere Pro Beta with no luck.

Is there a quick list of troubleshooting methods, or transcoding workarounds? I can't even seem to create a proxy file. Really, really hoping I won't have to replace a laptop which is less than a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is an issue with the newest upodate, try rolling back a version until its fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging from posts scattered across here, Reddit and elsewhere, this has been a problem for the better part of a year if not longer. Maybe it's more AMD's problem, but it's disheartening to see a number of users struggling.

Votes

Translate

Translate