• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

proxies for duplicate clips

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wrangling a large documentary project about a year after the project started.  There are duplicate clips in the project and if I attach proxies to one clip, the duplicate clip is missing the proxy.  And if I attach to the duplicate clip, the first clip is missing the proxy.   I'm thinking that I should just duplicate the proxies and connect each clip to a unique proxy, but is there a better way..

thanks as always

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a right pain ... jeepers.

I've seen discussions on this sort of thing several times. Ended up being handled two ways ...

1) go after removing the duplicates, which of course means finding every instance of any use of any bit of them and reconnecting to the remaining clip of that pair .. or triplicate ... whatever.

2) making multiple proxies or whatever, which can lead to further mismanglement of the project but might be easier/faster to just get it done.

The suggestion of trying option 1) oft includes the advice that if you've got a minion learning the assistant editor ropes, this is most excellent training. They get to learn both how to really work in the weeds of whatever NLE is being used ... and why you never, ever let a duplicate situation get outta hand.

Sadly, I've never had a minion for these tasks, though on the other hand, I've never had to straighten out a full longform project ... yet.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, this job was set up by an assistant and there were some poor choices made that have complicated things.  There were about 20 clips that seemed to have the duplication error and I just duplicated the proxy folder and linked to those...  That problem seems to be solved.  There were a whole bunch of proxies that seem to have been brought in separately rather than "attached" so when the dialog comes up that the media for those files is missing, we just skip all as the proxies are actually attached without issue...  Although I think that makes my client a little nervous...   I would like to just delete those proxies that were brought in but they don't seem to exist and if I search for the proxy file names, nothing shows up.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yowza ... best wishes on that. Scary a bit, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not half as scary when most of the video wouldn't play properly because of the color space of the camera original...  The board is an amazing resource.  posted that problem about 6 weeks ago and got the answer almost immediately..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines