Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy audio for 120 fps interpreted to 30 fps not working

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to create a proxy of 120 fps footage so I used the workaround floating around the internet where you interpret the footage in Premiere Pro to say 30 fps, start the proxy generation and stop it as soon as it shows up in Media Encoder then interpret the footage in Media Encoder the same as in Premiere Pro to 30 fps for example.  Well this works great except the audio doesn't seem to get interpreted to 30 fps and remains at 120 fps when I complete the proxy.  My goal is to have a proxy of a 120 fps footage so if anyone knows how I should do that please let me know.  😃 

Also the non proxy audio works but as soon as I turn on the proxy audio it's off by 400% which means it's not getting interpreted from 120 to 30 fps I assume.

Premiere Pro 14.3.0 (Build 38)
Windows 10 Pro

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally going from 120fps to 30fps is used to do a powerful slo-mo effect, and the audio is not normally used. As it is so slowed down to be WAY deep in pitch and difficult to understand.

What is your audio here? You're sure you want it?

You could take the audio from the regular speed clip, slow it down and apply that to the timeline of course.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the audio because I'm using most of the 120fps footage as normal non
slow footage. I just want the slow mo option and I want an easy proxy
workflow so I was hoping to preserve the audio on the proxy without too
much trouble so I don't have to deal with the large original footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using for a sequence? What are you using 120fps from ... game capture?

As Salvo notes, interpreting 120fps as 30 is one thing, slowing it as for slo-mo use is an entirely different thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes.

I'm just guessing here...but maybe do this....

put your 120fps stuff into PPro and play it so it looks like NORMAL SPEED ( playback at 120fps ). Unlink the audio. EXPORT THAT AUDIO AT 30 FPS, make it a wav in audition or whatever, at 48k, etc. Save THAT audio file as a wav somewhere on your computer.

NOW go back to your timeline that plays the 120fps normal speed ( not slow mo ) and delete the sound and export THAT as 30 fps ( just the video ). You'll be dropping frames .. getting rid of frames... so it will look different but probably OK.

Now you have the 30 fps stuff ( video and sound separate files somewhere on your computer). Put THAT STUFF into a sequence. LINK IT.

see if that works.

Now, when you really need the slow motion junk ( original 120 stuff ) you can import that, stick it into a upper level of timeline, unlink and delete the SOUND , and INSERT it into your 30 fps timeline as needed.

Don't record sound in camera for dumb reasons, basically.  Now you have to jump through hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slow motion idea of this thread got me to thinking. I'm retired after working on a lot of movies, etc. I'm also bored to death sitting in apt. social distancing and so on. Anyway, what if I shot some 24fps stuff of someone shouting, "Black lives matter ! " ( sound in camera would be OK for this cause it will be the export fps, even though the format would suck (not wav 48k, I'd have to convert ))... so NOW I cut to a bunch of slo mo shots of the following human beings turning slowly toward the cry in the wilderness....

all races and religions and people of the world ( but only really FAMOUS PEOPLE ) turn toward that sound in slow motion.

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for post Neil. It was weird timing cause I just got the bmpcc 4k out of closet to shoot slow motion ( 120 at full HD ) in my apt. I have NOTHING to shoot that I dont animate myself ( I live alone and virus stuff aint helping to make others more available to help me ). But basically I'll shoot MOS stuff like smoke, water, wine, beer, milk, etc.... and figure out how to pre focus on tripod and shoot. I have NO STORY ( zero, nada, no clue ) where this will lead me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe it will be a metaphor for our current and past cultural progress. But that's kinda negative... so I'd rather spruce it up a bit and be positive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying to figure out good 120 fps stuff to shoot around house

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CalebLovesPs 
any luck with this - same boat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here in 2022.  Any Solutions? 

My files are 3840x2160 50fps  original  - I did Proxy to 1280x720 25fps -  VIDEO WORKS  WELL BUT AUDIO DOESN'T..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The engineers say the "interpret" to a different speed is only meant to fix timeline speed issues, and shouldn't be used for say resetting slo-mo shot at a higher speed to the timeline speed.

For that, we are supposed to use the Speed/Duration. Which works in percentages, which is annoying, but ... if you change the original's speed with Speed/Duration, then make proxies, it simply works as you expect.

It seems weird to do the percentage figuring, but once you have the numbers for one change from X to Q, then ... in the future, you know exactly what numbers to use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines