Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Proxy files need relinking every time I open a project

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I am working on that has proxies attached. It was originally on another machine and now I am working on a new machine. However, every time I open the project, It looks for the proxy files in the old location and opens the 'located media' windows. Even though when I save the project and then closed it I had relinked everything to the new location. This doesn't seem to happen with every project though, so not sure if it is totally reproducible as a problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with Steps 3G and H below.  Report back.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Proxy files are localy on a media drive inside my computer, just not the same path as where they were previously. They are not on a network.

The My Documents folder is still in the windows default location.

One more point to add to this. When I open the project, it asks to relocate the files. But if I click 'offline all', the project opens and it knows where the proxies are in there new location as I had told it in the last time the project was opened. So it seems that maybe for any single clip it know various different file paths. So it was asking to find the old location, but already also new the new location. Is that a design feature? In the meta data (in the bin once the project is open) it is not possible to see this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I follow that last.

One thing I can suggest is that once proxies are created, don't do anything to them.  Don't move them, rename them, delete them, etc.  PP is a little fussy here.  If you've already done that, you could try creating new proxies in order to follow that guideline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ran into this problem and sorted out my own solution. Basically you just need to manually reattach your proxy files.

1. Load up your project and just offline all your proxy files.
  2. Go to the files that have lost their proxies, highlight them, right click, select "Proxies" and select "Attach Proxies."
  3. Navigate to the appropriate folder and connect the first proxy file on the list. The rest that you've selected should be located through this process.
  4. Repeat for any other files that have lost their proxy files.

This worked for me. When I open my project, I don't get any more offline proxy file complaints.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines