• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy Files slower to scrub than originals

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at wits end as to what else to try, so though I'd see if anyone else has solved the same issue. I've been editing a video podcast for about 4 years now, so my workflow is pretty set - I have three 1920x1080 video feeds (24fps, H.264) displayed on screen at once for the three hosts, frames overlaid on top, other visual elements, etc.

My PC was a beast in it's heydey, but it's a bit old now (i9-7900X, GTX1080Ti, 64GB RAM), so jumping to a given point in the timeline always takes about 1-2 seconds to display the correct frames, and real-time scrubbing is impossible. No worries - I just create proxy files for the three videos, and voila - real-time scrubbing! Until a few months ago... no idea what changed (nothing new installed on my PC in ages), but proxy files now take longer to refresh than the original files! With proxies toggled on, it takes anywhere from 15-20 seconds to update! Turn the proxies off again, back to 1-2 seconds - what's going on?

The original files are about 3GB each; I've created custom Encode & Ingest presets that use Cineform YUV-10 bit, quality 1, 480x270 @ 24fps, and put the proxy files next to the originals (which sit on NVMe storage). This preset has always worked until recently, but in trying to troubleshoot this I've also tested ProRes 422 Proxy, hard-coded the frame rate, field order and aspect ratio (to avoid any confusion by ME), excluded audio entirely (I use a WAV file instead anyway), used the built in proxy presets, ensured I've followed all the best practices for scratch disks, cleared caches, everything I can think of! 

Any ideas? I just don't get why everything worked fine for well over a year, and suddenly stopped working recently /shrug

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ozDarchange,

Sorry about the issue. Which version of Premiere are you currently using? Are you having this problem with specific source files or all of them? Also, please share your video properties (recording source, codec, format, frame rate, frame size).

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan,

I'm running v22.4, though it's been happening for several months so the issue has been present across multiple updates as I always install the latest updates as they're released. I'll update to v22.5 shortly, but it'd be a minor miracle if it had any effect.

Source files are all coming from Riverside.FM - a high-quality internet recording service. Files are H.264 wrapped in MPEG-4, 24fps, 1920x1080. I've had this issue across multiple files per recording (there's 3 separate host recordings that all go on the timeline at once, each file usually represents 1hr to 1hr30mins of recording, and each recording session usually goes for 3hrs - so 6 files per session). I've had this issue across numerous sessions recorded fortnightly, so perhaps I've tested 36 files now.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are working on a similar issue. I’ll keep you updated with any further developments. Meanwhile, have you tried creating h.264 proxies? If not, please try doing so and let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The H.264 proxies performed no better, so I guess no update? I also never heard back from Adobe Support working on a similar issue though. 

Having said that, I ditched Riverside due to some other major issues they had, and have found the files from the replacement service I'm now using perform so well in the native format they provide that I don't even need proxies anymore 🤷🏻‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines