I'm at wits end as to what else to try, so though I'd see if anyone else has solved the same issue. I've been editing a video podcast for about 4 years now, so my workflow is pretty set - I have three 1920x1080 video feeds (24fps, H.264) displayed on screen at once for the three hosts, frames overlaid on top, other visual elements, etc.
My PC was a beast in it's heydey, but it's a bit old now (i9-7900X, GTX1080Ti, 64GB RAM), so jumping to a given point in the timeline always takes about 1-2 seconds to display the correct frames, and real-time scrubbing is impossible. No worries - I just create proxy files for the three videos, and voila - real-time scrubbing! Until a few months ago... no idea what changed (nothing new installed on my PC in ages), but proxy files now take longer to refresh than the original files! With proxies toggled on, it takes anywhere from 15-20 seconds to update! Turn the proxies off again, back to 1-2 seconds - what's going on?
The original files are about 3GB each; I've created custom Encode & Ingest presets that use Cineform YUV-10 bit, quality 1, 480x270 @ 24fps, and put the proxy files next to the originals (which sit on NVMe storage). This preset has always worked until recently, but in trying to troubleshoot this I've also tested ProRes 422 Proxy, hard-coded the frame rate, field order and aspect ratio (to avoid any confusion by ME), excluded audio entirely (I use a WAV file instead anyway), used the built in proxy presets, ensured I've followed all the best practices for scratch disks, cleared caches, everything I can think of!
Any ideas? I just don't get why everything worked fine for well over a year, and suddenly stopped working recently /shrug
Sorry about the issue. Which version of Premiere are you currently using? Are you having this problem with specific source files or all of them? Also, please share your video properties (recording source, codec, format, frame rate, frame size).
I'm running v22.4, though it's been happening for several months so the issue has been present across multiple updates as I always install the latest updates as they're released. I'll update to v22.5 shortly, but it'd be a minor miracle if it had any effect.
Source files are all coming from Riverside.FM - a high-quality internet recording service. Files are H.264 wrapped in MPEG-4, 24fps, 1920x1080. I've had this issue across multiple files per recording (there's 3 separate host recordings that all go on the timeline at once, each file usually represents 1hr to 1hr30mins of recording, and each recording session usually goes for 3hrs - so 6 files per session). I've had this issue across numerous sessions recorded fortnightly, so perhaps I've tested 36 files now.