Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy files still stuttering on timeline

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having problems with my proxy files doing their job and making my timeline smooth. They seem to make playback worse. I've searched the forum but can't find a solution. 

I have an M1 max so don't think it's a hardware issue and I'm using version 23.0 of pro. 

My original source files are 3840x2160. 

I have tried both h.264 and ProRes proxies but neither work. 

They are defintely attached to the video as I have the watermark enabled. 

What settings should I be looking into here to resolve my issue?

Really appreciate any help. 

Thanks, 

Ben

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard of some folks having issues on Apple Silicon builds of Premiere and After Effects, but the quickest thing to check is the Activity Monitor. Is any specific component maxing out? Are you playing the footage back from a slow drive? As you implied, ProRes Proxy should be incredibly light and easy to play back even on a very old computer. Are your proxies stored in a cloud syncing folder? I would try isolating the problem by working with a single proxy file in a new project. Can you play that back smoothly? If so, then we can try other troubleshooting steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Convert the full resolution footage to ProRes and skip proxies entirely.  Make sure that the Sequence Video Previews are set to match the flavor of ProRes that you're using.  So, if the camera original clips are transcoded to ProRes 422 HQ then set the Sequence Video Previews to Custom Quicktime ProRes 422 HQ as well.

The M1 Max should handle 8k ProRes playing from the internal Flash storage or Thunderbolt 4 SSD external storage very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines