Exit

Quality and sharpness loss when keyframe zooming in

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me im not going crazy.

Setup:
Premiere pro 15.4, imac mini 16gb m1 bigsur 11.4, 4k prores footage from a sony a7r3 shot with a ninjaV,  editing on a 1080p timeline.

Using keyframes on an adjustment layer to create a motion blurred zoom into my 4k footage that is set to frame size, ive noticed that the effect degrades my image’s sharpness as compared to when the 4k image is just dropped on the 1080p timeline when not set to frame size with no zoom in effect. I thought it was just the youtuber preset i used, but the same thing happens even when just doing a manual simple zoom in with no motion blur without the preset. Ive tried everything but revert back to an older version of premiere and am close to my wits end. What is the issue? Here is a video link example: https://youtu.be/oZ31fuGqbj8  help would be greatly appreciated!! 

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what the preset is, but can you try it with no adjustment layer. Set to Frame Size, which should set your scale at 50% then zoom in using the clip controls anything up to 100% scale, the quality should remain the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, with the preset and without the preset just keyframing on my own. Same results 😕 this is the preset in case you were interested https://youtu.be/4UljzmkJhAQ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might have found a major bug. Talking to adobe senior devs on monday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update? I'm on CC 2022 and shot a new project in 4k as I do a lot of zooming / reframing with adjustment layers & the transform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you zoom over 100% the quality degrades. Stay within that and you should be good to go. Even if you go somewhat over 100%, you might find that quality acceptable, it's up to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not necessarily what I'm getting at. The problem is when I edit 4K footage in a 1080p timeline, adjustment layers with the transform effect simply zoom into the 1080p timeline rather than the 4K source media. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might not be understanding you, but effects on an adjustment layer applies to everything below it, ie: the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On that AL, try nesting before adding the Transform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines