• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about editing 4K footage vs 1080p

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just opened a couple 4K footages in my Premiere Pro and when I went to the Effect Controls > Position, it says 1920 x 1080.

Is this right? Shouldn't it says 2160?

I opened a 1080 footage to compare, and the 1080 shows up smaller. I understand why... 1080 is a smaller resolution. 4K is 2160... but it still says 1080 in the Effects. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong.

I have a feeling "Position" does not equal "size," but I'm still confused. I'm just making sure there isn't something I need to change in the Settings to edit 4K. I wouldn't want to edit a ton of 4K footage to realize later that Premiere Pro automatically downgrades 4K to 1080 by default unless you change the settings...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Hi Akwon,

Yes, the Position values work differently than you're thinking. The Position value is a coordinate... specifically, the coordinate of the center of the image (actually, this isn't totally, true, it's the Position of the Anchor Point, but that's set to the center of the image by default.

In most Adobe programs the upper left corner pixel's position is 0,0. If you have a 4K sequence, the bottom right corner is 3840,2160. Therefore the center is 1920,1080, since those are half values of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akwon,

Yes, the Position values work differently than you're thinking. The Position value is a coordinate... specifically, the coordinate of the center of the image (actually, this isn't totally, true, it's the Position of the Anchor Point, but that's set to the center of the image by default.

In most Adobe programs the upper left corner pixel's position is 0,0. If you have a 4K sequence, the bottom right corner is 3840,2160. Therefore the center is 1920,1080, since those are half values of the resolution of the sequence. It's a little confusing the first few times you have to deal with it.

But long story short, Position is relative to the resolution of the sequence. In a 1080 sequence, the center is 960, 540 (again, half of 1920 and 1080).

As long as you created your sequence properly (using manual settings or by using New Sequence from Clip or by dragging to an empty timeline panel), your sequence will be 4K, and the Position has nothing to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clear explanation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very helpful, thanks for responding!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

man! i 'm glad i found this post i thought something was wrong with PPro. Thanks for the post, helped a whole lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

theank you very very much, i thought it has nothing to do with the res cause it said on my sequence that it is indeed in 4k but i still had to make sure, agian thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines