• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question. How to remove Subtitle option after export that still says .srt

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically I added an .srt file to my new feature film. The .srt file is for English subtitles.

Before the film goes on Vuulr to sell to buyers there is a problem

When choosing English subtitles to play during the film. It say "English.srt" when I look inside the options for subtitles. I want the subtitle option to just say English after the file has been exported

There are only English subtitles (at least currently) available for the film.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

You can name the SRT file anything you want to, but it's common to match the filename of the movie that it's associated with and then use the DVD language code for English ("en") after the name of the movie that it's associated with.

So, if the movie filename is "greatmovie.mov" then the English subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_en.srt" and the Spanish subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_es.srt" and the German subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_de.srt".  (A full list of langu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

In Vimeo, contrary to the help article I linked, the captions setting has been moved from its own button (in settings on the right) to the "distributions" section.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

@Sam5C53 

Something to know about captions and subtitles is that the implementation is different for every possible avenue of distribution and that's before you get past the term "captions" and "subtitles" being used as if they are synonyms.  If done right and with the care that it deserves, it's a full-time job in and of itself.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will depend on the player used (VLC, Youtube, etc). What player are you using to test?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a "Movies & Tv" player. Since this will be my first film to release. I'm not sure the way distributors take films.

Due to your comment Stan it seems different players show the file differently.

On youtube because www.rev.com need a way of viewing it. I used youtube for them to see the film.

The subtitles go straight to the youtube clip, on youtube it says English - Default.

People on Vuulr will watch the film on Vimeo though. So want it to be ready for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can name the SRT file anything you want to, but it's common to match the filename of the movie that it's associated with and then use the DVD language code for English ("en") after the name of the movie that it's associated with.

So, if the movie filename is "greatmovie.mov" then the English subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_en.srt" and the Spanish subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_es.srt" and the German subtitle file would be named "greatmovie_de.srt".  (A full list of language codes can be found here: Language Codes (sourceforge.net).)

As far as Vimeo is concerned, you'll upload your movie file (greatmovie.mov).  You'll set the language at the time you upload the SRT file.  So, when you upload greatmovie_en.srt you'll set English and when you upload greatmovie_es.sert you'll set Spanish.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you think no need to export the movie with the .srt file already inserted? As the will be seperate uploads to vimeo?

I'm aware this is not a Vimeo forum. But this is very very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Vimeo, contrary to the help article I linked, the captions setting has been moved from its own button (in settings on the right) to the "distributions" section.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just talked to FilmHub about the feature film. They add the subtitles seperately so makes sense if Vimeo do the same. This way you could add 10 different subtitle options.

Thank you very much everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sam5C53 

Something to know about captions and subtitles is that the implementation is different for every possible avenue of distribution and that's before you get past the term "captions" and "subtitles" being used as if they are synonyms.  If done right and with the care that it deserves, it's a full-time job in and of itself.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. It is also worth noting that it is something filmmakers need to get themselves. And movies cannot be released without them. According to FilmHub it is a legal requirement for hearing impaired audiences.

Since aggregators use Vimeo to watch movies, it is best to follow what Vimeo require at first before it goes on Netflix etc:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And you need to TEST your workflow.  Recently needed to make captions available for streaming for a film festival.  The client had decided there were places where the captions needed to be at the top of the screen rather than the default position at the bottom.  Although this is an option on many of the caption/subtitle formats it's often NOT implemented.  I did testing with Vimeo with a number of different formats and was UNABLE to get this to work...  And when I reached out to Vimeo I was told this feature was not implemented.  Luckily the film festival was very helpful working thru some tests with me and we found a solution that worked with the streaming platform they worked with...  We're now prepping the film for the distribution company which will be selling dvd's and streaming it.  I described the issue and my solution/workflow and have no idea if it worked for them....  They're not particularly forthcoming and I guess we'll find out when the film is released in the fall.  God knows how the captions will work in the DVD authoring program...  I'm learning Scenarist and have deferred dealing with that issue.  Stan, thanks again for all your help along the way.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines