Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question on Proxy Workflow with Merged Clips

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all-

I'm struggling to find a solution for an issue I'm having.

I'm a student that gave some 4k XAVC footage over to an AE to sync footage using the merge clip tool. She did this but I'm now recognizing that XAVC isn't such a edit friendly codec, even with a heavy processor behind it so I'm trying to figure out a way to alter my process to a proxy workflow.

I've unfortunately found out the hard way that the new CC proxy workflow doesn't apply to merged clips (Adobe, consider this a filed support request!) but I'm realizing that even a manual re-link isn't working because when I "make offline" my merged clips, that applies to the synced audio too. So when I re-link, the synced audio is pulling from the proxy video files.

The only solution I can come up with is to make proxies and re-sync each of those by hand.

Is there really no way to point video files to proxies once they're merged?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi samm:

No... and yes.

While you can't create a proxy from a merged clip (you've probably noticed that "Proxy" is dimmed), you can create proxies for the source video of the merged clip.

So, if you're looking at "clip001 - Merged" in your project, locate "clip001" and then create your proxy from there.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, if you merged the clip before you made the proxy, will attaching the proxy to the original video clip update the Merged clip?

I'm having trouble determining if the merged clip is actually the proxy or the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this comment. I'm having the same issue. Does linking original media to the proxy files change the merged clip to be original media and not proxy? @MovieM8kerJON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you enable Proxies, you're playing the proxy in place of the High Resolution clip whether it's merged or not.

The thing that needs to be avoided is importing the Proxy files and merging those. 

So, your High Resolution media (or Original Media) and your sound recordings should be in your project while your Proxy files are connected, but not actually in the Project tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Warren, do you know of any way to reconnect the high resolution camera original footage to the merged clip if I've made the unfortunate error of syncing and merging the proxy files and have not synced with the originals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi through_a_lens:

You'll have to create new merged clips.

How far along are you in the edit?  If you're close to locking picture, you might just keep going as is.  Then, when you've locked picture, copy and paste to a new Sequence that the High Resolution settings and manually replace just the picture for the shots you used.

If you're not too far along or you may be re-editng the material frequently, I'd take the time to get your High Resolution footage merged asap and continue from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you enable Proxies, you're playing the proxy in place of the High Resolution clip whether it's merged or not."

I think this answers my question, but just so we are clear.

1. I merged clips using the high resolution footage.

2. Then the merged clips started to chug on my machine.

3. I made proxies of the high resolution footage

*Now I am wondering if I toggle proxy's on, if the merged clips created from the high resolution footage will also use the proxies?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, this is what I'm also trying to get an answer to. Did you ever find out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked, so don’t worry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Did this actually work for you? I'm in the same boat, and it doesn't seem to be working. Original clips are definitely using the new proxies, but the merged clips (which I made before creating proxies) are not. As far as I can find online, people are saying that proxies still don't work with merged clips, but is that not correct?

Thank you,

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the merged clip that is based on a high resolution clip with an attached proxy will play the proxy when Proxy os enabled.  (Phew, say that five times fast.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Warren,

Please see my question above. This doesn't appear to work for me. Can you give me any suggestions? Thank you!

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Maybe no one reads this thread anymore, but I am also having issues. And this is what I found out:

When I merge clips in the bin (using either the Merge Clips option or the Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence option) then YES, the merge clip will play a proxy when you create a proxy for the processed video file (the original video file). 

However, sometimes you have to manually merge clips as the sound cannot be automatically synced by Premiere. When you sync the video and audio manually in the Sequence and then merge the clips, then NO, even though you create a perfectly working proxy for the source video file (that you can drag into the timeline and it works perfectly), the merge clip will not use this proxy file.

Please note I watermark my proxies so it is easy to see if there is a working proxy used for a video clip. 

Now these manually merged video files don't use the proxy and therefore still lag and stutter a lot and a solution is required. If anyone has a solution, please let me (us) know, I'd be very thankfull.

Best, 

Rob 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, if you use the first REPLY* button on the page, your post will go at the end of the thread, and people are likely to find it. Or start a new thread. By using a middle Reply button, it goes only into that conversation, and is thus in the middle of the page. I was just going to give up finding your new message when I happened to spot it.

I used the middle reply button for this post which I usually don't only in hopes you find it next to yours...

* We're trying to get rid of these nested replies in this new forum software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think I should prob use this reply button then. Figuring out a way to make the proxies work now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, consider this a filed support request!

This is largely a user forum.  You need the following to make it count.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the situation where I had created the proxies, then merged the clips.  However, when I moved the project to a new computer I had to re-create the proxies.  The merged clips DID NOT update to use the new proxies.  Now I have a library of original source clips with proxies and merged clips that refuse to use the proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With double-system sound, it's better to create new media (Transcodes) than to use proxies.

The following can help.

https://blog.frame.io/2017/05/15/sync-clips-in-davinci-resolve/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and found a workaround that solves at least the perfomance issues while editing:

I simply renamed all my proxies with a batch renamer to remove the _Proxy ending in all of them, made all my merged clips offline and then batch relinked them to these disguised proxies. Fortunately adobe allows in the relink window to untick "file extension" - this way I was able to relink my .MXF AVC raw files to .mov ProxyProres in one go.

Now I can continue editing from the external HDD with the merged clips in proxy quality with a decent performance. For H.264 playouts of preliminary edits, this should work fine. Also our post will go over to Resolve in the end, so we might just leave it at that for picture lock even.

If somebody is doing finishing in PP however, they should be able to just reverse this methot and relink their merged clips back to the true raw files in the very end.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

Thank you for this answer, it really helped.

But when I tried it the frame became squashed, changing the file from 3200x1800 to 1024x540. Just wondered if this happened to you and if you knew how to fix it?

Cheers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to choose a proxy workflow preset with the matching aspect ratio.
In the case of your source footage, the result would be 1024x576, not 540.

3200x1800 is 1.78:1 ratio.
1024x540 is 1.896:1.

Just divide the numbers to get the ratio. 1024÷540=1.8962962963 (almost
2:1) and 3200÷1800 is 1.7778 (AKA: 16x9). Your target needs a matching
aspect ratio to prevent it from getting squished or stretched.

In your case, 960x540 would be a perfect proxy choice if that's an option.
I don't have it in front of me right now to check and it's a gross
oversight that they don't show you the aspect ratio in the proxy preset
menu. Making you do the math just seems lazy.

--
Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin
Confidence Bay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're starting with an odd frame size. But for me, the easiest way is to simply divide both frame sizes by the same number. For instance 3,

so by 3

3200 = 1066

1800 =   600

If you want them smaller, then by 4

3200 = 800

1800 = 450

You can divide both by fractional numbers, like 3.5, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1066x600 is certainly an odd frame size too. My beef with PP is that they
have all those presets, but don't give you the critical info or aspect
ratio, which you need to know in order to know if it's going to look right.
I'm mean, at least just bonk out and say that you're choosing an off ratio
selection. Users shouldn't have to do long division with .7777778 in the
result to make the right choice. Analyze my source and show me correct
options.

--
Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin
Confidence Bay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<1066x600 is certainly an odd frame size too>>

Ah... yeah... 100% based on your original clip. So, to hammer home, you have an odd clip size, which therefore needs an odd clip size proxy.

So, you came to the table with an odd sized clip. It would be impossible to have every aspect ratio alread covered. So, you to do some simple division. 

The other post had all those crazy decimals you needed to divide by, so I gave you a simple method. Start with a 'normal' size clip and it becomes more obvious.

if you were using a UHD clip 3840x2160

divide by 3 = 1280x720 (original HD)

Start with normal, get normal, start with odd, get odd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines