• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error Reading Frame" Subsitution-Recursion Issues - FILMIC PRO 6.15.0 / iOS 14 iPhone 12PRO Clips

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HEVC files generated by Filmic Pro capture at 30fps, 4k 2160P, FILMic Extreme, 10-bit LogV3 [shutter locked to 60Hz or Auto] when imported to Adobe Premiere Pro Version 15.2.0 Build 35 are generating thousands of "error reading frame xxx @ xx:xx" substitution/recursion events when either playing back the source clip itself or when embedding it in a sequence and playing that... Using Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the original Filmic Pro output into Apple ProRes 422HQ renders editable/usable files and is an acceptable workaround in the short term but obviously far less than ideal. I've searched the Adobe Premiere Pro support community in vain for anyone else experiencing the same problem with FilmicPro files on import and drawn a blank - is this issue a current "thing" or is it just me? "Help!" [Running WIN10 enterprise on a muscular HP workstation with an NVidia GTX1660Ti GPU running NVidia's Studio Driver Ver. 471.11 with Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration enabled in project settings - no known issues importing 4K DolbyVision video files generated with the native iOS camera app - this problem is specific to FILMIC PRO]...

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Auteur Savant,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We can get this checked. If possible please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing this issue. It will help us to diagnose the issue properly.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sumeet,

Following, a link to a sample “camera original” FiLMiC Pro HEVC 4K 2160P LogV3 48KHz AAC Stereo clip:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnYle1gXceHGxjNBudjC3z5l_bFY?e=OChclG

I should also mention that Adobe Media Encoder is unable to transcode FiLMiC Pro files either – although in the course of testing/debugging this issue I was able to transcode FiLMiC Pro files with the free [albeit, severely limited/outdated] utility “Handbrake”.  All Media Encoder attempts to transcode FiLMiC Pro clips crash, producing error logs like this one:

- Source File: F:\V I D E O\C A P T U R E\iPhone12PRO\FILMIC PRO\07152021_180333.mov

- Output File: F:\V I D E O\O U T P U T\07152021_180333.mov

- Preset Used: Adobe Stock UHD with Audio (Apple ProRes 422 HQ)

- Video: 3840x2160 (1.0), 30 fps, Progressive, 203 (75% HLG, 58% PQ), Quality 100, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 00:00:38:19

- Audio: Uncompressed, 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit

- Bitrate:

- Encoding Time: 00:00:00

07/15/2021 06:31:56 PM : Encoding Failed

------------------------------------------------------------

Error retrieving frame 2 at time 00:00:00:02 from the file: F:\V I D E O\C A P T U R E\iPhone12PRO\FILMIC PRO\07152021_180333.mov, substituting frame 1

So, to reiterate and well worth noting, although FiLMiC Pro files will play perfectly in the native FiLMiC Pro iOS app and the open-source Windows 64bit VLC player they will not transcode in Adobe Media Encoder and will not successfully import to Adobe Premiere Pro [thousands of substitution/recursion errors and stuttering/“jagged” playback].

See also attached JPG of VLC CODEC INFO for the sample clip which you’ll note indicates a non-standard frame rate of 30.001584 [is this significant?] notwithstanding that the app was set to 30fps.

And there you have it, Sumeet…  a prompt solution would definitely go a long way towards preventing my imminent “head explosion”.  Thank you.

Fingers crossed,

"Auteur"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again, Sumeet - please be advised that the previous link to a sample clip is broken...

Here's the new link: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnYle1gXceHGxjMt2gc_Ldo0KiS4?e=8Nf5MA

Good luck, really hoping to get this issue resolved sooner vs. later!

Cheers,

"Auteur"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those files seem to have some "special sauce" treatment that is unusual enough to be problematic.

As Handbrake hasn't updated the UI in years, there's another free utility ... ShutterEncoder ... that has a much cleaner, easier UI to work with. And a ton of options. You might give that a look for t-coding these files for the moment.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Neil...  cheers also for ShutterEncoder link [agreed, much better UI/options than HandBrake, too]...

Evidently, you too were unable to import the test clip into PremierePro without substitution/recursion errors or otherwise transcode it with Media Encoder.  Worth noting, when I attempt a Media Encoder transcode the app either freezes altogether or, at best, terminates the operation; generating event log files like these:

- Source File: F:\V I D E O\C A P T U R E\iPhone12PRO\FILMIC PRO\07152021_180333.mov
- Output File: F:\V I D E O\O U T P U T\07152021_180333.mov
- Preset Used: Adobe Stock UHD with Audio (Apple ProRes 422 HQ)
- Video: 3840x2160 (1.0), 30 fps, Progressive, 203 (75% HLG, 58% PQ), Quality 100, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 00:00:38:19
- Bitrate:
- Encoding Time: 00:00:00
07/15/2021 06:31:56 PM : Encoding Failed
Error retrieving frame 2 at time 00:00:00:02 from the file: F:\V I D E O\C A P T U R E\iPhone12PRO\FILMIC PRO\07152021_180333.mov, substituting frame 1

- Source File: F:\V I D E O\T E M P\07162021_112248.mov
- Output File: F:\V I D E O\O U T P U T\07162021_112248.mov
- Preset Used: Apple ProRes 422 HQ
- Video: 3840x2160 (1.0), 30 fps, Progressive, 203 (75% HLG, 58% PQ), Quality 100, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 00:00:31:18
- Bitrate:
- Encoding Time: 00:00:03
07/20/2021 04:16:18 PM : Encoding Failed
Error retrieving frame 2 at time 11:22:48:26 from the file: F:\V I D E O\T E M P\07162021_112248.mov, substituting frame 1

Interestingly, an engineer with the development team at FiLMiC Pro apparently has been able to successfully import my test clip into their implementation of Premiere Pro running on a Windows 10 platform - here's their feedback:

Alrighty, well I've got good news and bad news—the bad news is we still don't know exactly what the problem here is. The good news, though, is that our developers tried to import the footage you gave them into Premiere Pro and were able to successfully do so—no errors at all! They're running Windows 10 and the latest version of Premiere Pro. I've attached a screen recording of it.

So it seems like there's not necessarily anything wrong with the footage, but there is something wrong with your computer and/or your installation of Premiere Pro that is preventing it from properly importing the footage. Unfortunately that means I'm not sure what else to tell you, but at least it does narrow down the source of the problem! Uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Pro would've been my first recommendation, but I believe you've mentioned you've already done that, so with that being the case I suggest continuing down the path with Adobe's support so they can hopefully help you find what's going wrong with the software or your setup.

I'm sorry we couldn't solve the problem, but hopefully they'll be able to get you taken care of quickly and easily! Do let me know if you need any further information, if Adobe's support have any questions, or if there's anything else we can do to assist!

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Pro and, as of today's update, I'm also running the latest version [15.4.0 Build 47 - with all of the same problems] - additionally, I'm quite certain that there's nothing wrong at the level of my operating system [Windows 10 Enterprise]...  Which begs the question, how is it that neither you nor I can work with native HEVC FiLMiC Pro clips but FiLMiC Pro's development team/trouble-shooter can?

Obviously, in the short term I can simply transcode FiLMiC Pro footage with ShutterEncoder but I'd far rather avoid this "work-around" - accordingly, do you have any further ideas and/or could a developer/engineer on the Premiere Pro desk collaborate with the FiLMiC Pro people to conclusively resolve this issue?

The FiLMiC Pro people are keen to have a go and have the link to this thread so by all means, please do reach out to them...

Cheers,  "Auteur"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just download and test that clip ... and it imported just fine into 15.4, and I was able to create a sequence with it and playback worked perfectly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, Neil.  Back to digital/debugging hell for me...  clearly, there's something problematic with either my particular implementation of PP or with the underlying operating system.  I'll update this thread when I discover the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, this is the version of Windows I'm running:

Edition Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2020.‎07.‎17
OS build 19043.1110
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, sucks to be That One with the stupid painful glitch. Been there, done that ... no fun at all.

I'm hoping someone can help out with this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"EUREKA!"  Problem solved...  As it happens, it's all Cinegy's fault... to wit, the plugin "TurboCut" employing the Daniel2 codec for Adobe CC editing/encoder apps [see link below]...  uninstall TurboCut [and for added good measure, clean your registry with something like CCleaner] and you're laughing!   Additionally, as far as I can tell, that plugin was also causing substitution recursion "frame not found at time xx:xx" errors in other PremierePro workspaces/modules as well - specifically, graphics on importing Adobe animated titles/subtitles in Premiere Pro not to mention breaking Media Encoder on every attempt to transcode FilmicPro capture.

Curiously, TurboCut will work as designed on some platforms/installations without incurring substitution recursion errors on import/playback of FilmicPro capture or interfering with Media Encoder [and worth noting, if anyone else is having problems with this error, it occurs independently of which frame rates/codecs/resolution your FilmicPro clips were captured, it's all down to TurboCut].  So, to reiterate - although this problem has manifested on two desktop Windows workstations it hasn't on a laptop installation which is otherwise identical as regards operating system/Adobe apps.  Go figure.

Well.  There it is.

CINEGY TurboCut/Daniel2: https://www.daniel2.com/index.php/products/turbocut

Go figure.

Thanks again for your inputs Neil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some of these interactions ... you know the things that "... only happens on X kit with Y media but only if you also apply Warp or time remapping ... " can be just bizarre.

Just glad you finally got it sorted out!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines