• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version." - Except it wasn't!

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I saved a project I've been working on for a couple of days. It's been fine all along. Today, when I went to open it, it's no longer listed in the recently opened files on startup and i get this message:

"The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version."

Except it wasn't! I use Premiere CC and it's been fine all along. I can no longer open it at all...

Any thoughts? Very frustrating!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

I had this problem and called support.  Following was my problem and resolution.

I created a project at home on my laptop.  When I got to work and tried to reopen it,  I got this message.  “This project contains a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type”.  Turns out the reason was because my laptop was not connected to the internet. You have to have internet access for Creative Cloud to recognize the program is activa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks! I've been facing almost the same problem of other members.

We've been using Creative Cloud and some apps for less than one month.

I've been working with Premiere Pro CC and created one project some weeks ago with success.

This week we've noticed that we had an update (Premiere Pro CC 2014) and we've downloaded it. But now I cannot open my first project and every time I try to open it I receive a warning saying: THIS PROJECT WAS SAVED IN A NEWER VERSION OF ADOBE PREMIERE PRO AND CANNOT OPEN IN THIS VERSION.

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 2.25.40 PM.png

WHY??? If it's an updated version? I must can open my project in a new version of Premiere Pro, but the warning says exactly the opposite.

Today I've uninstalled everything (CC and the APPs) and installed again, but the problem remains the same. My Creative Cloud and my APPs are up to date.

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 2.32.39 PM.png

Please help me! I need to open my project!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check your version in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone remember when MS Word moved from .doc to .docx? Newer versions of Word prompted you to decide whether you wanted to save in the newer format or a compatibility file. That went on for around 4 years. Yet Adobe can have customers leave their desk, come back to it and find the same file won't open on the same computer and it's the customers fault. No question the most passive aggressive product support on the market...

What happens when you need to transfer between versions one month apart? Nothing. Your problem.

I'm awfully glad I didn't pay for this software as a teacher but I still feel ripped off for the hours wasted trying to get back work.

How about an update that factors in compatibility? The file I can't use on two computers with CC 2014 has one audio file and one video file and some cuts. That's it. Nothing complicated, except for the fact it's on an Adobe product. FUCK'S SAKE GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One just needs to check the version in Premiere (in About) , if its an old one, just update and problem solved.

The only issue is that the CC app does not always show the correct version, hence the confusion.

Premiere has never been backwards compatible.

If you want this to happen file a feature request.

FEATURE request 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, the point you are missing is these people are creating the project in the same version that won't open it.  I also downloaded the new 2014 version.  Worked on a project, closed out, went back using the same version, same computer and got the message saying it was created in a different version.  Couldn't open it at all in any version or on any computer.  Had to redo everything.

I'm curious as to why Adobe has two versions of Premiere Pro in Cloud to download?  If they've updated the program, they typically only have the latest version there.  

I deleted the 2014 version and haven't had any more issues.  I only use Pro CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A) The versions are the same. I have checked the about. B) The fact that Adobe has never featured compatibility is not something to brag about. It just makes Adobe more [swearing removed... Mod] and blinkered. C) Again, stop blaming the customer and start thinking about how a company providing a service should factor in how it is used by the average customer - an institution does not have the ability to change its update version every day to match the way people are using it at home. Backwards compatibility is not a "feature". It's ridiculous to think a one audio file, one video file with no effects applied, nothing besides cut and rearrange editing cannot function between two platforms a few months apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's important to clarify that this isn't user error (using CC instead of CC 2014), and it's not an acceptable standard (where you might expect that an older version of software is not able to open a newer version's file).

This is the SAME version of the software we are discussing. The difference is an UPDATE.

It is a bit of a scary precedent that an update makes it impossible to open if the other computer doesn't have an equivalent update. In other words, I can't pass a file to a customer or coworker by making sure that they are in CC 2014, but I have to ask which update they have installed, and know if and when there is a compatibility issue. I really hope this is a bug, and not an acceptable update technique for Adobe moving forward.

I lost a day of work because I worked from home, brought the file in, and couldn't open it (our machines work on a dedicated lan so our studio admin has to created deployment packages to update our machines, which is an all-day process). Which means that if I want to telecommute, I have to turn off automatic updates at home, so that my home CC stays in sync with our work CC. I realize that this is a less common problem for people, but it's one that we never had to deal with when we used CS6 and earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(where you might expect that an older version of software is not able to open a newer version's file).

This is something Premiere has never been able to do.

There used to be some work arounds in the days of CS4, 5, 5.5 or CS6 , but this is not possible for CC and higher.

Yes and it is best practice to keep versions the same at home and at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have reported, the way I got around this way to fully log out of Creative Cloud and than log back in and it saw the 8.2 update.  This fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hopes of helping somebody, I just wanted to mention that I've seen this, too.  I was migrating to a new computer, and the version that Adobe Cloud had me install a version of Premiere that was actually older than what was on my older machine (8.0 on the new machine vs 8.2 on the older machine).

After a reboot on the new machine, the Adobe app checked with the mother-ship, and told me that upgrades were ready and waiting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am getting the "project was saved in a newer version..." message. Unlike most of the folks dealing with this, I am trying to open the file on the very same computer that created it, in the one and only version of Premiere that I have, or have ever had.  I switched from FCP to Premiere just one month ago, and the version is as current as my computer will support (CC 2014).  The tech tried to tell me that I saved the project in a more recent (2015) version of Premiere that my computer doesn't have, and couldn't have even if I wanted it to.  Impossible.  After several minutes of unanswered questions, the tech finally acknowledged that he or she had never seen this issue.  I'm waiting for a call from a supervisor.  But I'd love any advice in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2016 Jan 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im not been able to open my project in all the versions. I saved my project on premiere pro cc 2015 and I'm trying to open on my notebook with the same version but I receive a message saying that the project was saved on a newer version but wasn't.

Somebody can help me?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issue. I edited a project in CC15 and gave the drive to a friend to work on audio. He worked on CC15 Trial and now I can't open the project anymore. I started the trial on another laptop at home and that can open the project.

Is there something that prevents full version opening the project files that are saved from the Trial version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this is not related to Trial version. The other machines have really latest 9.1.0 version of CC15 while the first computer I worked on the project has 9.0.2. Unfortunately CC doesn't allow me to update the version in the problematic laptop. Easiest way to check the version is to use Finder and locate the Premiere Pro application (I have it under Applications->Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015->Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015), right click and select "Get Info"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a business account and I can't open in different computers. I have license to use adobe on the same computers.

Note: I'm using an Imac and macBook pro with Premiere Pro CC2015

Thanks guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same ting today.  PP 2014 project couldn't open in 2014 form a post house.  Couldnt even import it into After Effects  I upgraded to 2015 and still couldnt open it (created by newer version error LOL)  BUT I went up to Adobe Manager, updated it, and the file opened like CHARM.

I am kinda bummed, seems like Source Settings got disabled for some reason in the new update but I am downloading some more updated Red software and hopefully that will solve things.

Hope tis helps.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do we have to go through the trouble of logging into creative cloud an install another application on a work or school library PC or Mac just to continue editing? I'm not authorised to install any application on the Macs in my school library, meanwhile, it's convenient to edit there because they have large screens. So what do I do? I have PP CC 2015 on my personal Mac; the school Mac also has PP CC 2015 but it still says it can't open because it's saved in a newer version. Shouldn't newer versions be automatically configured to be compatible with older versions of the same product? I'm really frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't newer versions be automatically configured to be compatible with older versions of the same product?

Premiere has never been backwards compatible.

If it says its a newer version then it is was it says.

Compare builds by looking into the About Adobe Premiere Pro under the drop down menu Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super annoying. After upgrading to 2015.3, the playback is just too slow and laggy, so I wanted to roll back to the previous version before this but I now I can't open the file!

Why can't they just have made it like word when they let you save it as older versions? Amazing that adobe didn't think this scenario through. I feel like the more I update the products the buggier they become after CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct you need to use the last used file in 2015.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem! Creative Cloud says that everything is up to date. Premier Pro 2015.3 and SG 2015 is what i've got now (both installed in the past 2 days). And I can't open any PP files in SG. Gives me the same popup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Jan 2017 and I face the same issue. My work computer has Adobe premiere 2016. Computers in our dorms have Adobe premiere 2015. Can't open the damn files. Great work Adobe! I am glad I only took monthly subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speegrade is discontinued and re-introduced as Lumetri Colir in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to Adobe CC in you applications.  double click.  go to apps.  click update on premier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this, I right clicked one the project, 'open with' and chose the latest version of PP CC I had on my computer. @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines