• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened".

Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Well I have a big problem here, with my software Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. There is a project very important to me, on which I have been working for two monthes now... I can't open it.

Everything worked fine untill this evening. Now, when I want open it, it loads and there is a message on which is written : "This project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type.".

I have tried the solutions proposed on http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/missing-sequence-presets.html : I disactivated and reactivated my Premiere Pro CS6, and I "re-created the Adobe Premiere Pro preferences and plug-in cache" (at the least, I pressed alt + shift during the loading screen of Premiere.. I had no sign that anything was done or changed because the software started as usually, but I suppose it's normal).

So, since it seems that there's no further solutions or ideas to resolve the problem, I want, at the least, find a way to recover the huge cutting work on which I
thoroughly strived during the whole last weeks.

According the error message, there is ONE sequence that doesn't work. It means that the great majority of my sequences are clean. How can I recover them in a way I can edit them again on Premiere ?

Thanks.

PS : sorry if there are mistakes in my words, my maternal language is french.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this solution.

Create a new sequence that has same attributes as the old one.

Open the old one and copy the entire timeline.

Go to your  NEW empty sequence and paste .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! WE CANNOT OPEN SEQUENCE!!! HOW xxxxx CAN I COPY TIMELINE???
u are not smart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, have you had success by now?  Now I'm in this mess, wasted my whole weekend trying uninstalling windows, using recovery tool to uninstall Premier, reinstalled it, did the sign out, did the ALT+Shift, disabled my firewall and windows defender, no success whatsoever.  Also tried opening a new sequence and importing the old one but although it loaded onto the new sequence, the OK button did not highlight, only the Cancel button highlighted.  What is the way forward.  I would buy a new computer just to solve this problem but have heard that people experience the same problem on new computers as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere are you using?  6.0 or 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 or 6.0.3?

Also sometimes this problem occurs when you used a customized sequence in the project but this sequence/codec is no longer installed is this possibly the case? For example did you have any capture cards installed that aren't installed anymore? Did you recently re-install your OS or remove codecs or make any system changes?

Also from what I have read another quick work-around for this issue is to open the Premiere Pro Project up inside Notepad ++ and change all instances of the current preview codec from I-Frame Only MPEG to Microsoft AVI. Because some other people have said this solution works in some cases. However I'd only do this as a last resort. This solution will only work though if the problem was being casued by the I frame only mpeg preview codec option though which isn't always the case. So this might not work anyways. I'd honestly recommend just re-installing though if you've already tried to deactivate and you personally already know that you weren't using I frame only mpeg as a preview choice and you also know for a fact you haven't uninstalled any capture cards recently or any codecs. If you do uninstall though, use the adobe cleaner tool when doing so.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks you both for your fast answers !

ComputerNovice25, I edited my project on notepad ++ as you told me, and now it works really great. I can open it again ! Thanks you.

Best regards !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it worked, looks like this problem has been solved!

Sadly though I don't know what caused it, other than something has obviously gotten corrupted. I'd recommend uninstalling and then using then adobe cleaner utility for a perm fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like this problem has been solved!

Not really.  His MPEG codecs still aren't properly activated.  That could cause other issues in the future.  The Notepad edit is more of a Band-aid than a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes and no, we know what the problem was now so, in that since it's solved. Sadly though like you very correctly stated it's not a perm fix at all. Which is why I recommended a clean install for the perm solution. So the problem has been solved, a solution hasn't fully been provided yet. Only a suggestion on how to get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it's a matter of semantics, really.  But the problem was unactivated MPEG codecs.  A work around was found, but that problem hasn't really been solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct the source hasn't been solved. Only the cause disovered. So I guess I should have technically said "looks like we have solved the cause of this problem". 

(Even though that is not technically fully solved because the cause of how exactly it was corrupted is still unknown)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again !

Is that what we could call an Adobe Philosophy ?

Well now I have another problem xD Each time I open my project, I get the error message... so each time I have to edit it with Notepad ++ and each time I lose every renders.

Is there a solution to definitely tell Premiere to make the renders on "Microsoft Avi" instead of "I-Frame" ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I mentioned earlier you're going to need to uninstall the suite, then run the cleaner utility. Then reinstall, unless someone else knows how to fix the issue that caused the corruption in the first place. Which I have no clue how it managed to get corrupted, I just know that somehow it did. That's why that problem is solved (meaning knowing what exactly the problem was), since we know it's corrupted, sadly though I still have 0 clue why.   I'd really just recommend the uninstall option. It's by far the fastest solution IMO because you could end up spending hours/days trying to work around a issue that can be fixed by a fresh re-install (most of the time). I've fallen in this trap myself before.  

Just make sure to follow the steps listed from the link I posted in my earlier post.

If you really want  avoid a fresh install though. (Which I'd strongly recommend doing instead of doing what I'm about to say)

You can technically create a customized sequence that is using a different codec for preview, then paste your old sequence into the new sequence then delete your old sequence which was using the I-frame only mpeg for previews, then click save as  and name the project w/e you want then use the project which only contains the good sequence which is using a different/ your newly selected preview codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've recently run into this issue as well. My client gave me a 2TB external with a mess of PProCS6 projects, and I cannot get a single one of them to work.

System:  Win7/64 Ultimate
i7-2760QM
32gigs Ram
3gig NVidia 560m

First attempt to fix was the notepad workaround. Unfortunately each project file ranges from 300mb to 600mb (rounded, obviously). Not only did the rename process take upwards of 15 minutes to complete on the seemingly massive text docs, but I still received the error.

Next attempt was to completely wipe CS6 off my system, and follow up with Adobe Cleaner. Ran Cleaner 5 times back-to-back, reinstalled Master and still have the issue.

What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info, I have tried in CS6.0.0 & .0.3, and both on my Macbook Pro & Win machine. Moreover, since uninstalling/reinstalling, I cannot access my deactivate or update buttons in any of my CS apps....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What preview codec was the project previously listed as using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I-Frame on the Mac, but I-frame is gone on my PC. If I could just get I-Frame on the win computer, I would be gold. I have been able to open one of the files on my mac, but the workhorse is my PC--so, Im still stuck in a rut...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so obviously you've attempted to reinstall and it didn't work. Very strange scenario going on here, usually that fixes the problem. However when you start Premiere Pro up now does it say anything about using a trial version? Because it it sounds like your not activated still. Try disabling your firewall, and see if it activates. Your "deactivate" should stop appearing as greyed out if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if the firewall option didn't work try the following solutions as well.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/missing-sequence-presets.html

Although it sounds like you already have done at least one of the suggetions from this link so please ignore if you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could a Disk Defrag cause this scenario?  I just came on here with the same issue as described at the top of the chain and the ONLY thing I have done between the time my project worked and the time that it didn't (with the aforementioned issue) was perform a Disk Defragmentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue with a CS5.5 project - I swapped out the I-Frame Only MPEG with Microsoft AVI and everything worked fine after that.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx VERY MUCH. This realy Works, and save our life. Once more THANKS VERY MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

Day before everything worked fine...

Clean new install of premiere did the trick. Next time I will also try the signout and in of the Adobe Creative Cloud..

But for now I can go on... pfiew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! I cant believe that worked!!!! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer the TheMtyThor question: how the hell can we edit *.prproj files in the notepad++???

It shows only a mess like this:

|ß ľdq( ',đ Ý7†|ÓÚď ˙˜Ju˙ ć ó¦F*›$jĽönŮŹź őůf"&ęňU2^í Zé• ˇÇ‰ ƒ@   A 0î1 ‹X?€\aO=*± ˛‘ŠŽT”Z-tńr(Ő—??ň–Ĺ÷řE’Ť'O¤OBě1

â˜)@`@Ač+ @?

i R

úřjVvYőFEéP®OËěíUą'[u ®uŃŁ A Ö SĐ Dy „Ä'   …QŔ" E‹.˘ ]\1®›„ čAŤ0 ˇF]l&9 B Bîƒ QO

p†Ů*ôîçďy:˜Ţ

Ç« ĘűŤWú˝ ·—×-g°Şf-Ő7Yr› Ĺ@—ńć@Ĺ_‹? ÔW(Ô¶ň, ę× VTź˝şŻ©>éWćőĺĎÉ8     ęI, cej®żşgčp˘†9ŐËWbś˙CÉ'ş»5o  _jčäďŢ˜Ţ…C‘ .o’ßÔ HuÝş—‹ĘfúŞŢëŞuŻšÚÍÁ9É¦ŞşĺÂňŞ˘ź ˜3«öý‚ŔMšM.ß ĺ˝˝˙Qx}ťdzŞ4x—eîź

ÎđśŻęeŃŐgEÜ›ľÍ§e|9_ Oˆ™ŞÚ·kĂţQÜ©Yů_ 9ůP`yů]Ýzo±ÜQ§ËťlXîí¤á®Ë}Gar’Ë ynąźËrżoweˇăUă

FÇµ5‰©Ś azµ3dô ¦>•8 ŇG•vŮ|ˇW˝[ĽĽ7ĎV% ˝— ĺ‚°PĐŻ/ˆ

ƒú‚¸PŐ $…‚Ľľ - „^}IżX Ö— Š%Q}IV,‰ëKňbIŇŔőâüŔ¦    *Î l˜"Xś#Ř0I°8K°aš`qž`ĂDÁâLˇ†™‚Ĺ©B

S ‹s… ć

' 5L ,Î j˜-Tś-Ô0[¨8[¨iA g 5Ě *Î j˜-Tś-Ô0[¨8[¸a¶Pq¶pĂlˇâlá†ŮBĹŮÂ

ł…Šł… f  g 7Ě .Î n˜-\ś-Ü$ ‹ł…Wfkˇ––ľŕŠšjT äa  nZô…’¤    EĹ’

*r4`¨ wŇ ˇ"ÚI ‚Š`'

*bť4ৠuŇ ź"ŇI“d.N iš¤â,Ń&É\ś&Ú$™‹óD›$sq˘h“d.Î mŇŁĹ©˘Mz´8W´IŹ '‹6éŃâlŃ&É\˛Éš$sÉ*kZSĹŮň›$sq¶ü&É\ś-żI2 gËoŇŁĹŮň›ôhq¶ü&=Zś-żIŹ gËßR2ß» +’™®HfŹ’@;˝ DŚp@ü  ˇĐ><ˇŠKIą

›$sîl<1-šź=)•Ň îâ_ĂI– ÇItY¨´â Ďź,|łŐźĄ"ů(VĘĚ~—› ˙H©† Ď°ü¸T|ć2ĺîoáÉ‚Ç÷ ]<z%B5Xc˛żĘäE‘ !ĐĘN  ’  !9 (Ś b ĆDlfrŢNK.Ďăö_ß«/“ËbĹ=8

;ŕ4¬ĺô

So how to "change all instances of the current preview codec from I-Frame Only MPEG to Microsoft AV"??

You have to be more speciffic.

Please help.

I have the same issue and I don't understand your workarround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines