• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radial Shadow is obsolete? How to quickly add a white border?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the new Adobe Premiere (not Beta) today with M1 support.

I was dissapointed to find that Radial Shadow is now under "obsolete". And it's also broken-- renders very different, with a big white gradient covering anything.

This effect was the quickest way to add a white border to something in Premiere. I often have to do this to 20 different elements and I need a fast way to do it without jumping into Photoshop.

Is there a way to fix this effect to behave like it used to? Or get the equivalent? Did I miss something somewhere in release notes where it was explained to be moved to being obsolete?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White border ... as in esentially a white box around something? A stroke? I'm not sure I understand your particular use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a white stroke. Is that possible to add in Premiere without jumping into Photoshop?

I can't just modify the images in Photoshop, since I use them for other purposes without the stroke, so I'd have to create copies... it used to be so easy with radial-shadow. Why was this one effect deprecated in the latest release?

I make 20 videos a week, each about a recent news headline, each with these stroke-white-outline:

See example: 

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.37.13 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Essential Graphics panel, you can create a stroke for a shape or for text. Multiple strokes if you want.

You could create a rectangle shape the size of that "inner image", without fill, but add a stroke to it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that work on an image/video clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also just curious, why this was deprecated when it used to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some questions are better left unasked...  a program like premiere is extremely complex to code and it's sometimes not simple for mere mortals to understand the reasons for this sort of thing.  The effect may use outdated code that's being elimnated to make the program more efficient or allow new features to be implemented...    If you're interested in how the programmers' minds work, do some searching here for threads dealing with the legacy title tool...   And generally when an effect is made "obsolete," there is another way to acheive the same result...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be used on an image or video clip as noted in my other post.

Say, you have a video appearing in the image, from another track. Go to the EGP, and make a new rectangle, size and place it to the video, and then add a stroke.

Being as you can both mask with shape and mask with text plus invert options in the EGP, there are many uses for that outside of actually doing text items.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1626897218528.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last follow-up to say, this new technique worked really well for me, thanks!

Question: If I'm using the rectangle tool to draw on the Program window, over an existing image, is there a way to snap my cursor to the image layer beneath where I'm drawing? It's hard to get the rectangle to be in exactly the right spot without a lot of zooming-in/adjusting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Turn on Snap in Program Monitor and use guides.

Instead of zooming use the Full Screen function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines