Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

(Re)naming source files before proccessing or keeping original names

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am new at Premiere. Do you rename your original footage files (e.g. MVI_4666.mov) to be able to find certain video faster on your harddrive folder (e.g. MVI_4666_countryside near my home.mov) or do you keep it as simple as possible (e.g. 4666.mov) for working at Premiere timeline? Could long names cause any problems during proccessing?

Thanks for your reply.

J.

TOPICS
Formats, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each editor will develop his/her own workflow but I would never do that.

I would keep everything original unless there are clips with the same name.

I would organize in bins or use the metadata option within Premiere to make comments.

Or use the Bridge.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer to rename the file to something that tells just by glancing on the file name what the clip contains faster. I was on a trip to Japan some years ago and renamed all files and found it easier to find all clips from let´s say Osaka if i renamed them from Clip0037.MXF to H037_Osaka_Japan_20170506.MXF. I used the Batch Rename feature in Adobe Bridge.

Long file names is seldom a problem while odd characters can be. Use A-Z, 0-9, dashes and underscores. The biggest problem with long file names is that it will be hard to read  them in the user interface such as "Exiting-and-wonderful-summer-trip-including-grandmother-to-Spain-while-we-had-a-rental-car-001.mov"

If you have an AVCHD camera, or any other camera, that produces spanned clips it can be bad to rename clips unless you merge the spanned clips before renaming.

So it´s not either black or white.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I keep all of the original file names.  If I make any changes to photos, for example crop or color correct in Photoshop, I add that to the file name and save as a new file.

I organize media using folders and Windows Explorer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines