Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Real basic question about trimming beginning of clip

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm re-learning Premiere after having not used it for more than fifteen years.
I tried trimming a few seconds from the beginning of a video clip, but this did not move the clip to the left, and instead added a few seconds of blackness to the beginning of my project.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I have the new beginning of that clip be the beginning of the movie, rather than a few seconds of blackness?

The attached screen shot shows how the clip looks. As you can see, there's an empty space to the left of the clip. Most curious.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two handiest shortcuts to know for trimming a sequence are the Q and W keys on an English language keyboard.

"Top" and "Tail" editing ... the Q deletes everything of a clip to the left of the CTI (playhead) and closes the gap. W deletes everything to the right of the CTI and closes the gap.

Learn those ... takes only a few minutes ... and it speeds your work dramatically. Learning Q/W and using the trim modes from someone like Christine Steele does wonders for your production speeds.

Christine is teaching at MAX again this year ... and it's 'virtual', online again ... and free. Very much worth looking her up and taking her class.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Q and W.

I also have my Selection tool default set to Roll/Ripple Edit without modifier key.

AnnBens_0-1631352320500.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an excellent tip, Ann ... and I use it also.

When you set that option, as Ann suggests, then when you hover over the edit point you get a rolling cut, if you hover over either side of the cut, you get a ripple cut. the cursor changes to show which tool is active.

Slick ... cuts out needing to use keyboard shorts or clicks.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your input. Now I'm going to sound even more clueless:

I tried hitting Q and nothing happened.

Then, amazingly, I pressed command-Q and the application quit, as any application would!

It's hilarious that I somehow didn't expect command-Q to quit an app!

But, anyway...

I am still stuck. LOL.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere Pro is very "panel focused". If the Timeline panel had the blue outline, it would "have focus" and the Q would work on it. If any other panel has focus, it would not.

That's another thing that is always a funner in PrPro ... tracking which panel has focus. As keyboard shortcuts are for the most part panel focused. Meaning they do entirely different things depending on which panel has focus.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines