Rearranging order of photo slides in Premiere Pro 22

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am a beginner with Premiere Pro and am creating a slideshow composed of several photos (slides). I hope I am using the correct terminology.

Before I upload my photos, I arrange the photos in the order I want them to appear in the slideshow timeline, and then name them accordingly: Photo01, Photo02..., Photo34, etc.

However, sometimes I look at the results and decide I want switch the order of some photos, say Photo 07 and Photo 28, etc.

In my Media window I can click and drag the photos, but it has no effect on the photos in the Timeline.

I know I can drag the rearranged photos onto the existing Timeline, but when I do, I lose any alterations I have made, such as transitions.

Is there a way to rearrange the order of the photo slides?

Thank you!
🙂
Nessa

TOPICS
Editing , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022
Another way to do this is to arrange all your photos in the project panel. Then select all of them once they are in the proper order Select the Automate To Sequence icon at the bottom of the project panel:   Select the options you need:  

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQ: Editing Terminology and Getting Help with Premiere Pro 

You sort your images in the Project Window.

The way the images are dropped in the timeline is determined by the way you select the image in the Project Window.

I know I can drag the rearranged photos onto the existing Timeline, but when I do, I lose any alterations I have made, such as transitions.

🙂
Nessa

By @NessaOne

Have no idea what you are trying to do here. Please make a screenrecording.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, she's just saying that she wants to rearrange the photos AFTER they are on the timeline - to avoid losing any effects applied.

Nessa, there is no easy method to do that in one operation. Consider getting the order in a  more final version before applying effects. Then use the method Ann describes to recreate the timeline.

I use the "replace with clip" method to replace photos in the timeline without losing effects. Select the new photo in the Project Panel. In the timeline, right click the photo you want to replace. Pick "replace with clip from bin."

So in your case, let's assume you have photos Photo01, Photo02, Photo03, and Photo04. You want to "swap" Photo01 and Photo03. Select Photo03 in the Project Panel. Right click on Photo01. Pick "replace with clip from bin." You now have 2 instances of Photo03 in the timeline. Now pick Photo01 in the Project Panel and right click on Photo03. Etc.

In your case, if you are never going to start over with a new timeline, the names don't matter as much. If you wanted to update the names, I would first (before making any replacements), rename Photo01 to "Photo03 Old 01" and Photo03 to "Photo01 Old 03." 

I make so many changes that the original naming is not useful to me. So I just rearrange in the timeline.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to do this is to arrange all your photos in the project panel.

Then select all of them once they are in the proper order

Select the Automate To Sequence icon at the bottom of the project panel:

AutomateToSequenceIcon.jpg

Select the options you need:

AutomateToSequence.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not added transitions yet, you can do a Shuffle Edit.  Under macOS, press command and option after you start to click and drag a clip left or right in the Track.

PR-Shuffle-Edits.gif

A Shuffle Edit clears transitions if they are preset.  So, you can do this, but you'll have to re-apply the transition.

If you have already added transitions, you can do Replace Footage.  Select the still you want in the Project tab or a Bin tab, then right-click the still to be replaced in the Timeline and then choose Replace with Clip > From Bin.  Repeat until you have the stills in the desired order.

WarrenHeaton_0-1648755395349.png

- Warren

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick and Easy! Replace clip in timeline : alt drag from project window and drop it on the clip in timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann and Warren for those additional shortcuts!

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Thank you for the great tips.

I particularly like the "Replace with Clip" and the "Shuffle Edit"

🙂
Nessa

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines