• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RED footage importing with wrong color space and gamma curve

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something has changed, before when I would import my RED footage it would import with the color space and gamma curve settings I shot in, which would be rec. 709 and BT.1886. Now when I import footage it goes in as REDWideGamutRGB and Log 3G10.

Before I was able to use RED CineX to save and RMD with the correct settings and it would work fine but now that doesnt even work. Is there a way to set how premiere should import the RED footage? I am aware that I can edit one and save a preset, but then it applies white balance and ISO settings from that clip to all the others and its very frustrating and time consuming to go into every single clip just to change those settings.... does premiere have an option like Davinci that you can set the import settings? I can't find anything on this.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facing the same problem...when i import log files into premiere pro it comes in with colors

is there any way i can resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what camera? And have you checked the Source tab in the Effects Control Panel?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have...I don't think that's the problem...plus I shot on a red camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings are being applied to the r3d file in the Source settings tab ... which is why I asked. There was a reason I asked, of course.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem too. Shooting on RED, using multiple cameras. No matter what camera, the footage is coming into Premiere with the RedWideGamutRGB / Log settings. If we open the Red Cine X or look at footage in camera, the color profile is correct, but as soon as it gets into Premiere it's back to the flat color profile. We want to import the footage with the correct color profile, and not after it's imported, as we're creating proxies. The proxies are being made with the wrong color profile too.

Does anyone know how to change the import settings so that Premiere honors the color profile the footage was shot on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting the Red control panel in the Source tab of the Effects Control Panel to work with?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, thanks for the response. Yes, I have the RED control panel and it works. I can change clips once they are in Premiere. The problem is that Premiere is changing the camera settings on import. This is causing all footage to change to a RedWideGamut Log when creating proxies.

This didn't used to be a problem, so I'm curious if there's some setting checked here that is changing the color profile on import.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as we're importing 20hrs+ of interviews from multiple cameras. I'm curious if we should try installing old versions of Premiere and Media Encoder. Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2022 version has a completely new underlying color system, so yea, things have changed since 2021.  I've worked with some RED media, haven't had any issues. But I'll have to say I didn't create any proxies ... so I'll have to test this out today. Hoping I can get to it.

Wondering if say @mattchristensen  could answer ... is Pr2022 defaulting to RWG-log for RED media now?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil! Hope to hear from Matt. In the meantime, if anyone cares, here’s my workaround. I am exporting Proxies out of Redcine-X, this way it maintains the look and color of how things were shot. Then I'm attaching those proxies in Premiere. It's basically the same workflow, but replacing Media Encoder with Redcine X.

In Premiere I've already changed the R3D clips to have the correct color profile, not RWG-log. 

I know this isn't ideal, but hopefully it helps anyone trying to import massive amounts of footage and creating proxies at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's high time for adobe to either:

1. make default color importing preferences a saved option.

2. actually read the metadata of the video instead of guessing on the file extension.

is there a uservoice for that setup yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1) There are several with different suggestions ... mine is here:

Color Management Panel

2) They do something kinda sorta in-between. They do recognize now for instance S-log3.cine media, which you can't 'guess' from the extension. And some others. But many, they clearly don't. And without have a default options for us users, that's really a mess, isn't it?

This is one of the issues I'll be hammering over and over with them at NAB in a couple weeks. (And yes, they know it's coming ... lol)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines