• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relink automatically not happening

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a project happening in two locations. I am on windows 10. The other machine is a Macbook pro. The rushes are Sony A7S and there are multiple clips with the same name (C0001 etc). Our folder setup is the same, except Windows has D/... , whereas Mac just has volumes/...

When I receive a project, I am having to manually relink each and every file. It searches and finds them quickly enough, but it only finds the one shot and then stops. Why would it not relink the rest automatically? I have relinked footage with different folder arrangements before. Any idea what I'm missing? What would be the solution for this? We have not started the edit yet so are open to anything that would make the edit easier.

Edit: Just found out that the footage was copied from the card from only the 'Clip' folder, and not the entire thing. It was also sent to me like that. I'm assuming that's the problem? If so, what would be a possible solution?

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere will try to remember where the files are and the last known path is stored in the project files. Going between Mac and PC with the aforementioned path differences can be problematic, especially if you intend on going back and forth. You are supposed to be able to link based on Media start / Tape name / etc. but I have not found these to be particularly reliable or intuitive going between platforms (maybe just me).

In this particular case, where you have lots of duplicate file names and you intend on switching between platforms, this is a rare case (controversial) where I would actually recommend renaming your rushes files before import...prefixing with a reel name. It will massively simplify relinking and will be easier to investigate if you run into issues.

Eg. C0001.mp4 becomes 20200427_Card1_C0001.mp4 - or whatever convention you want. This means you still preserve the original name and every clip in project will be unique, this will save a lot of headaches. Use a batch rename utility to do this.

Additionally, it's worth checking the File Path & File Name columns in the project panel - this will help you check what file and clip is actually linked to, which can happen when you have duplicate names.

^ But yes, I know. Renaming rushes is normally a bad idea - this workflow is an exception. ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines