• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

relinked projects taking hours to launch

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

company recently installed a new video server connected to workstations by fiber (800-900MBS up and down) Migrated all files over to the new server, knew we would have to re-link projects to the new location(s) Was surprised how long it took PP to get to the "missing files..." dialouge, For some projects it took almost 72 hours. Once all projects were relinked (a week of work) operation seemed normal, although occasionally a project would fail to retain the re-links and have to be manually re-linked again on launch. Recently been having problems with projects that used proxies. The re-link for the clips stuck, but after sitting on the opening project progress bar, stalled towards the end of the process, the "missing" proxie files would pop up with their old server address. Is it necessary to detach/attach the proxies from their new locations to make the re-link stick? Is there a way to check that the objects are properly linked in PP? Would seem if an operator can see the clip/graphic/audio it must be properly linked to the project, is there anything more than hiting "save" on a project to make current links over-ride original links? This is seriously slowing down our workflow, any thoughts?

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, if you have a lot of footage on that server, this is kind of expected, as PP will have to scourge through all the files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a larger server, but other re-linked projects open normally. I just can't figure out what's not "sticking" after the projects are re-linked in the few older projects. Frustratingly an editor will wait and hour for the "missing files" dialouge, re-link to the new server address (in the most recent case it's the proxies folder that goes off line) then be sure to save after editing, but the next day the same folder goes off line again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont really know which server you have, but if loading workspaces the drrive letter changes, you might be in for a bumpy ride...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I knew it was going to be a big lift (lots and lots of projects) but thought after we spent a week (literally) opening and re-linking thought we'd gotten past this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something about those files then ... such as hitting a limit for the number of characters in the file name. Which actually includes the entire name in computer terms, the whole thing:

\\Hangens-MEETUPS\haugensXXXX\Adobe\Adobe MAX\ MAX2021\ledop.mp4

In files over a network, the total number of characters can actually get quite long.

And if there are any "special characters" involved, you can hit another issue ... and you might be able to 'point' to a file for use at the moment, but Premiere might not be able to link back to that file because of the improper use of a character in the file name.

As a couple possible issues ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but I've double checked the file name and file structure. It is longer than projects contained on a desktop, but doesn't exceed any Microsoft (and I'm just guessing ADOBE) parameters, plus in a project with 8 folders of clips, and accompaning proxies folders in each of those folders, only a couple have this problem. I've even tried setting up a test project and directly importing the proxies, worked normally, and all clips seem fine. Have re-installed PP on one machine, but same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've traced the problem to a folder of proxies for one of the camera clip folders. Same folder of proxie clips comes up with the old server address in any of the five projects that used the camera clips. Waiting for PP to present the "missing files" dialouge (2 1/2 hours) then pointing to their new address on the new server, opening the project, editing, saving, closing the project, exact same response next time we try to launch the project(s). Have tried cleaning/deleting media cache, no change. Have dedatched the offending proxies, no change. Have tried detaching and re-attaching the proxies, no change. Any other ideas out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a couple people with folders that PrPro wouldn't solidly link to post here. They changed the folder name, then relaunched Premiere, THEN linked to the folder ... and it worked. Weird, but give it a try. What have you to waste but another three or four hours?

(Sheesh ... such a pain!)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share your system info? Like OS and version, CPU, RAM, GPU vRAM, Pr version? Type/brand of server. Conection over smb, nfs? Thanks.

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-what-information-should-i-provide-when-a...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per questions about the system: three matching workstations, Microsoft 10 latest version, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K processors, 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 with 12GB vRAM, latest version of PP. Not sure of the brand of server (ITs not in the office yet to ask) connected by fiber to a 10gig switch that feeds the three workstations. AJA system test returns 920MBS write and 990 MBS read.

Latest attempt was to detach the offending proxies in the project, delete the proxies folder on the server, create new proxies. Same result; 2 to 2 1/2 hours to open with that one proxie folder (one of a dozen Proxie folders) still showing the previous server address for location. Beginning to think it's a conflict in the original clips folder (One of a dozen) Once I get the project open again I'm going to unlink and re-link those clips and see if if makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pretty much given up on getting the offending proxie folder to load on launch, willing to put up with decreased performance (we're shooting in 4K, delivering in HD) but I can't seem to find any way to remove the link to the folder running at project launch. I've tried detaching and deleting the proxies, but same result. I think this gets into the realm of code writing, but I've got to believe there must be a list some where that contains the location addresses for the projects clips. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You deleted the proxies but it still wants to find them on next launch?

That sounds like there's an issue with the project database ... maybe try deleting ALL cache files, and reboot. Relaunch Premiere and let it rebuild the cache ... in your case, probably overnight ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actualy already tried cleaning, then ticking the "Delete All media cache files from the system", no joy in either case.

I'm pinning my hopes now on using Project Managment to consolidate the needed timelines into a new project. Hopefully whatever errant bit of code that's plauging me won't get copied over into the new project. These are all video lessons that are in the final stages of client review, so (hopefully) no wholesale changes will be needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines