• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Auto Color Space from Camera RAW Footage

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am working with Pro Res RAW and S-Log3 footage, but when I bring it into a sequence, Premiere is automatically converting the color space, and I can't seem to remove it or change it. Is there a way to turn this off?

I am working in Premiere 22.4.0.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have to be worked with different solutions I think at this time.

For ProRes RAW, the controls are in the Effects Control Panel, but on the left-side "Source" tab of the ECP.

For the S-log3.cine clips, the CM controls are in the project panel ... right-click one or more files, Modify/Interpret Footage, the new CM controls are at the bottom.

You have an ability to apply an input LUT if you have one ... and the public beta has an option for S-log3.cine in the Override options that seems to work pretty good for Rec.709 timelines. Or you can use one of the other Override options.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the suggestions, however this isn't quite the issue.

There is no way to edit a sequence in Log or RAW, and export that sequence with the color space as Log or RAW. I need to export the video with the full color space intact, but Premiere forces me export the colorspace in 709, 2100 HLG, or 2100 PQ.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering what you are expecting to do ... and I don't know of an app that exports RAW or actually log-encoded files.

So ... explaining what you're trying to do in detail would be of great help right now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I'm trying to edit a sequence in Premiere, then export that sequence in the original RAW or Log format, then color it in Resolve. 

Thank you for your help!

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought you might be doing.

But ... you don't export out new media, you export an EDL (edit decision list) or XML (similar object). Over in Resolve, Baselight/whatever, you import the EDL or XML file, then link the original media to that file. It's called "conforming" a timeline.

The EDL/XML are text files of the timeline ... the clips used, what sections of them are where. However, they are ancient tools and don't really hold say time changes or size changes well. So you also typically export say a 'small' H.264 file of the sequence.

In Resolve you put the EDL/XML on the timeline, filling it out with the clips of course ... and put the H.264 on say V2. And use that set to low opacity to play through the sequence and checking cuts/resizing and timing issues.

Then after the conform shows the sequence is correctly set, you then color but you're working with the original media.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm fimilar with that workflow. And, it would work if Resolve supported ProRes RAW, but it does not. I need to transcode ProRes RAW into a different RAW format, or while not ideal, ProRes 4444 XQ. 

However, it seems like no matter what you do in Premiere, there is no way to stop it from applying a color space to a sequence. And, although you can change a colorspace inside Premiere, you can't export it without Premiere conforming it to 709, 2100 HLG, or 2100 PQ.

If you know of a way, it would be a huge help! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The data has to have a color space for any export ... sorry, but that's Reality. Premiere/Resolve whatever.

And you can't encode a raw format ... so what is done is simply to set a high quality intermediate format/codec, and use that. Which really both the ProRes4444 and 4444XQ versions would work for you.

In your case, when exporting from Premiere, probably use the 2100PQ option as PQ is the same one that DolbyVision uses. But HLG would work.

And both are as 'wide' and 'deep' for color space/volume as any file could be. And can be easily transformed to the chosen working space within Resolve.

Because of course, you do have to have an assigned color space to work in Resolve ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is software out there that can convert ProRes RAW to Cinema DNG.

Yes, you need the color space for an export. But, the whole point of what I'm trying to do is use Premiere and Resolve togehter without losing the capabilites contained in the RAW file, but that's not an option right now.

It looks like I can buy the software that will flip ProRes RAW to Cinema DNG and then edit and color in Resolve and remove Premiere from the equasion all together. 

Thanks for the responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines